What's new

Buster Keaton Collection: Volume I (The General/Steamboat Bill Jr.) from Cohen 5/14 (1 Viewer)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
TheBusterKeatonCollectionVol1_BD_3D_741952852391.png

https://www.uphe.com/movies/buster-keaton-collection-volume-1-the-general-steamboat-bill-jr

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
As a huge Buster Keaton enthusiast, I can't believe that I'm about to write this, but I may just sit out this release. These are two of my favorite silents, but I have multiple copies of them on both DVD and blu-ray (I even have an 8mm print of The General). Considering just the blu-ray format, I have both of the Kino releases. Do I really need to buy them again when I am already very happy with what I have? Right now, it seems that the primary reasons for purchasing this new release would be the likely pictorial upgrade and the Carl Davis score for Steamboat Bill, Jr which would be new to me. If this had been the announcement for Cinemuseum's long-awaited Blue Collar Buster or Criterion's edition of The Cameraman, I'd be ecstatic. Another release of The General and Steamboat Bill, Jr.? Ho hum. Still, I get it - these are evergreen titles, and this umpteenth release of them would likely do better than the obscurities I'd love to see. If you don't already have these films, this could be a good release for you to get. For me, I'll wait for the reviews and perhaps a sale before deciding if I'll purchase this set or not.

With that said, I'd like to see Cohen release those Douglas Fairbanks titles that have been restored over the past few years - Robin Hood and The Iron Mask come to mind.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Just odd how Cohen sat on these for so long and not much for extra content. At least the Carl Davis scores are being used and I bet the restorations look amazing. Though, I'll admit that if the Masters of Cinema edition comes back into print, I'll opt for that instead.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Just odd how Cohen sat on these for so long and not much for extra content. At least the Carl Davis scores are being used and I bet the restorations look amazing. Though, I'll admit that if the Masters of Cinema edition comes back into print, I'll opt for that instead.

I wonder if there was some procrastination because of concerns of the US market being saturated from first the Kino releases licensed from Douris/Cohen and subsequently the Kino/Lobster releases. Perhaps Cohen waited a few years to allow for some time to separate the releases?

Incidentally, has anyone seen or reviewed the blu-ray of the Cohen documentary The Great Buster: A Celebration? It was released last week. As for the documentary itself, I've heard mixed reviews, but I'm open to adding it to my Keaton collection.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
These have been available on the region B set for more than a year. They are absolutely stunning. I have all the Kino Keatons and these new restorations blow them out of the water. It doesn't matter whether you think you have seen them a thousand times: these are two of the greatest films in the history of film. Now they look as though they were filmed yesterday.

71qvgLTmB4L._SL1500_.jpg

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
So, are you saying that this Masters of Cinema release uses the Cohen transfers?
Yes I am. All three films start with the Cohen logo, after which "A Digital Resoration by Modern Videofilm" is displayed. In addition The General has a Library Of Congress logo. Sherlock Jr. has additional restoration information. Surprisingly, the Masters Of Cinema Steamboat Bill, Jr. and The General are loaded with substantially more supplements than the US Cohen release. But I'm really looking forward to seeing the other forthcoming Cohen Keaton features in their restored versions - if they are as impressive as these ones are. I also own the Masters Of Cinema Buster Keaton Complete Short Films 1917-1923, but these two-reelers have not been restored.
IMG_8438.jpg

Mark VH

Second Unit
I've owned two copies of The General on DVD (the original Kino and the Image disc with the Alloy Orchestra score) but have never upgraded to Blu-ray for either, having missed the first Kino disc and hearing less than stellar things about the transfer on the second. So if in fact this is a stronger transfer than the most recent Kino disc then I may jump on this.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
One of the most interesting things about Cohen's version of The General is that it is at a faster frame rate than 24 fps. Keaton expressed somewhere that his preferred frame rate for the film was 27 fps, and Cohen followed that. It gives the film a smoother feel that adds to the realism, especially in the scenes on the fast moving train with the scenery going by in the background.

The film I have had the most problems with is Steamboat Bill Jr. The original Kino release was really washed out looking. I got the Lobster version to replace it, but the Cohen probably looks better than the Lobster. My only objection to Sherlock Jr was the Club Foot soundtrack, but I solved that problem with the Lobster. That film always looks good.

Last edited:

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I admit, I'm looking forward to this release! By the time I developed an interest in Buster Keaton, Kino was planning their more recent double-feature releases, which weren't in my budget at the time, and by the time they were, there was talk of Cohen potentially releasing a better transfer of The General. So I've been waiting for this for a while. And I'm even happier to see that this is a double-feature AND is being labeled as a "Volume 1!"

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I am definitely a fan of Buster Keaton but will sit out this release as I have the Eureka release from region B which features these from a 4K restoration - they look fantastic!

Regards

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks