What's new

Burning CD's Question (1 Viewer)

Dan M~

Second Unit
I'm using Roxio?Creative CD maker version 5.1. When burning a disk and I choose the "test and copy" options and the testing fails before the actual burn... is the CD-R reuseable? The error message is "write error" and suggests that I restart the program, try a different media, something is wrong with the disk.
Please ed-jucate me! :D

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I take it you've used the disc before and are trying to add more data, correct?

Ok, here's the quick and dirty version. When you write to a disc, you create a session, which writes your data and the table of contents. If you close the session only (but not the disc), then new sessions can be added afterwards (at the cost of about 30 Mb of space I think). If you close the DISC though, then nothing else can be added. This is also known as DAO (Disc at once) recording. The disc you're trying to add to might be closed, meaning that nothing else can be added. There's an option to "Close session but leave disc open" I think-been a while since I actually used Adaptec (or whatever they're called these days...)

Yes, the CD-R is reusable - well, usable because it has not been used. When testing, the software just simulates the burn. Try using a slower burn speed. Try a different CD. If the disc is not writable, it wont even start the simulation. So could be a bad disk or too much speed.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Agreed with above it just runs a software simulation of the Burn and doesnt actually burn anything to the CD. The whole purpose of this test is that if it fails you dont lose a disc. If it had failed on the actual burn process then yes you would have a worthless piece of art.

KyleS

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
If the test fails, then the CD is still good. Also, look for any marks on the surface of the disc. One little hair line mark from the laser will make it a coaster. Also, I do NOT recommend using any Adaptec/Roxio products. I installed Direct CD on Win2k (dumb idea) and had to reformat. I only use Nero from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks