Buckaroo Banzai in Canada?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Conroy Tesa, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Conroy Tesa

Conroy Tesa Stunt Coordinator

I have tried to see on the HMV/Futureshop sites to see when this will be released here and for how much $$.

There doesn't seem to be an entry.

It is being released on the first week of January right?

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I have looked also and have not found anything. I wonder what is up. What is the release date in the US again?

3. David Echo

David Echo Stunt Coordinator

Hey there,

I'm in Montreal and a friend of mine visiting from Vancouver informs me that he was told by someone at Videomatica(?) there that B. Banzai was only available as an import disc from the US in the $40 range(!) WTF?

Does anyone have confirmation on this? I'd like to know the facts before I start bitching about it.

Thanks

Dave

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I saw it yesterday at A&B sound priced in the low C$20s.

5. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

The skinny I have on buckaroo in canada, is this. Apparently, mgm, does not have the rights to buckaroo banzai in canada. I received this info from a cinema one store manager, who was told this by their distributor. Who does have the rights, he wasn't told.

This type of thing happens all too frequently in Canada. Witness the movie-only version of Momento here in Canada. Why? Because Alliance Atlantis has distribution rights to memento in canada, but they don't have the rights to the special edition content on the columbia tri-star disc.

6. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

A local B&M (DVDWave) in the GTA has it in stock. I saw about 5 copies yesterday.

7. JoeDeM

JoeDeM Stunt Coordinator

Joe
    I got mine at DVDwave, they got in 120 copies from the US, they are almost out. Also Columbia House Canada has it listed in the current mailing.

8. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

Hmm, I didn't know this... good thing I ordered the following from Amazon in the US, the first 3 we KNEW we couldn't find in Canada, and BB was just a fluke I guess:

1) Mannequin

2) The Hobbit

3) Return of the King

4) Buckaroo Bonzai

Sheesh,

Chris

9. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I bought my copy at the HMV Flagship at Yonge & Dundas in Toronto for $32.99 ....a little pricey, but when you factor the US exchange rate I guess it's okay. Besides, I have to finish up my DVD Club card with them before they dump them for good on Feb 28th. I stopped by HMV today...they still have quite a few.[​IMG]

10. Todd_Peter

Todd_Peter Auditioning

There was a bunch of them at A & B Sound locally in British Columbia, Canada. I think they were $24.99 each if I remember correctly. Saw about a dozen there yesterday.

11. Conroy Tesa

Conroy Tesa Stunt Coordinator

I ordered mine from the states and had it delivered. It ended up costing~$35 cdn- THE SAME PRICE I SAW IT FOR ROUGHLY AT HMV THE SAME DAY IT WAS DELIVERED!

And I had called DVDwave twice a week for a couple of weeks leading up to the release. They said they weren't getting it in. HMV said they weren't getting it in. So I ordered from deepdiscountDVD and now they all have it!.

I just wish these store would know when they are getting something in .

PS

Has anyone noticed HMV has become super pricks now that Sam's has closed down. No more returns, no cards to be stamped and the prices have risen. Futureshop for me!!!

12. JoeDeM

JoeDeM Stunt Coordinator

Joe

13. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

14. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

I just ordered mine from Columbia House Canada for $16.99! They had their buy one, get one at $10 off sale. The regular price is $26.99 less the $10 off.

Marc.

15. JoeDeM

JoeDeM Stunt Coordinator

Joe

16. Daniel I

Daniel I Stunt Coordinator

Where is DVD wave located? I live in Woodbridge and would love to find a specialty shop with good prices!

Daniel

17. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

18. Kevin Baker

Kevin Baker Extra

Could somebody post the Columbia House Canada DVD club selection number for Buckaroo Banzai? I haven't recieved the latest magazine yet, and don't want to wait any longer to order it. (I tried to get it from customer service, but they couldn't find it)

Thanks,

Kevin