British Invasion Part II - Kindler, Gentler, More Mellow...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bunn, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

What is going on across the pond these days? So many good bands coming out of Britain these days, many with a somewhat similar sound...mellow, melodic, often soothing, beautiful harmonies, etc. I guess it started with Radiohead, then came Travis, Coldplay, and now very good bands like Turin Brakes (The Optimist LP), Starsailor (Love Is Here), Cosmic Rough Riders (Enjoy The Melodic Sunshine), Stereophonics (Just Enough Education To Perform), Doves (Lost Souls), Elbow (Asleep In The Back), Toploader (Onka'a Big Moka). Are there others I am missing?

All of the above albums are very good, and I am enjoying this British Invasion Part II of sorts. Keep it coming!

But what is going on over there?

2. Matthew Watson

Matthew Watson Stunt Coordinator

I picked up a recent issue of Q, the British music magazine. It was their year in review issue that included a best of cd with 19 tracks. Some interesting stuff on there. There was one song by a band called Elbow that was really nice. Sort of in that Coldplay, etc. catagory. I read a bit about them at allmusic.com. "Prog without the solos" is how they've described themselves, I guess. Anyway, I really liked it. I've seen one or two mentions of them recently, as their cd has been released in the US.

3. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Starsailor's Love Is Here is an excellent recommendation, Brian. "Good Souls" is the only track getting airplay here at this point, but I took your advice in the Stereophonics thread and picked it up at Best Buy the other day for $6.99, and it hasn't left my player since. I don't know how many tracks from The Doves album got airplay, but I never seem to tire of that album, either.

I would, in turn, recommend the debut album from South, From Here On In. The domestic release will be on 2/19 (with different cover art, of course), and it's also in the "mellow, melodic, often soothing, beautiful harmonies" vein. I must also again insist that you look into the earlier stuff from Stereophonics.

4. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

David--I have been listening to Starsailor all this week as well. Pretty solid album from beginning to end. And for $7...what a deal.

Where do you suggest I start with Stereophonics?

Have you heard their cover of The Beatles Don't Let Me Down on the I Am Sam soundtrack? Pretty nice job.

5. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    I haven't heard the studio version of "Don't Let Me Down", but they did play it live at the concert here last week.
    Personally, I would suggest purchasing the albums in reverse-chronological order; I find Performance and Cocktails to be better than Just Enough Education to Perform, and I find the debut Word Gets Around to be better than both of those combined. That way, they just keep getting better. [​IMG]
    Do you know much about Unisex? They're one of Audiogalaxy's hosted artists, and I've managed to locate about half of the tracks from their latest album, Stratosfear. It's an interesting effort, from what I've heard. I'm partial to "Midnight In The Stratosphere".

6. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

So Brian, how long did British Invasion part 1 last?

Where do these bands fit in (to name a few)?

Beatles

Rolling Stones

The Who

Pink Floyd

Led Zeppelin

Black Sabbath

Deep Purple

T. Rex

Elton John

Cat Stevens

Wings

Genesis

Yes

King Crimson

Clash

Sex Pistols

Echo & the Bunnymen

Smiths

Cure

Duran Duran

Wham

Oasis

Blur

Radiohead

PJ Harvey

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I thought the British Invasion Part One "proper" ended around 1966 or so. Beatles/Stones/Kinks/Gerry & the Pacemakers/Herman's Hermits/Hollies. Some considered the Who, who broke nationally in the mid to late 60s, to be part of the "second wave". Of course, America answered with the likes of "The Dave Clark Five" and "Paul Revere and the Raiders". [​IMG]
    Regards,