What's new

Brief summary: S&V's review: Sony 'CX985V DVD changer (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
S&V's latest issue reviews the 'CX985V, the 400 DVD/SACD megachanger from Sony.

Very briefly, the reviewer gave it generally high marks, noting that video performance was very good, and that audio performance, when using a DAC other than the unit's, was also good. The reviewer really liked the on-screen menu system, particularly the way the unit allows you to do screen captures and store them to identify DVDs.

No mention of whether the unit has the same "autoplay bug" that the 300 DVD changer is known (or infamous) for.

Finally, the reviewer stressed that at $400, the changer was a very nice buy.

There is, as is usualy for S&V, some lab data, which I will not reproduce here.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Though I'm not into changers, didn't I notice the review mentioned some weirdnesses vis. bass management for separate sources?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Jack:

You certainly did. It's interesting that in the same issue they review a new 'flagship' JVC AVR which they describe as the only AVR they've tested that does bass management "right" for all sources.

Can't decide if I'm into changers either. :D

Matthew:

That's a great question, one which I don't know enough about SACD to answer.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
This is totally off topic but here goes :): Anyone notice JVC is putting out more exclusive and/or higher-end equipment the past year or so? Receivers; their $5K XV-D9000 dvd-audio player early in 2002 (which no one seems to have noticed); super slick all-in-one sound systems, etc? JVC is partly owned by Matsushita (maker of Panasonic/Technics stuff). Is it a coincidence that since 99% of the Technics model line was retired in 2001 or so, JVC's audio line-up now is becoming more sophisticated? And--speaking from personal sales experience--I just hope they improve the reliability of JVC's components.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread............

LJ

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
It's interesting that in the same issue they review a new 'flagship' JVC AVR which they describe as the only AVR they've tested that does bass management "right" for all sources.
They however "downplayed" the fact that analog sources will be converted to digital in order to perform BM.I would hardly call that "right".
Untill we get digital connection between the player receiver/preamp,the bm should reside in the players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks