What's new

Bride and Prejudice discussion (1 Viewer)

Drue Elrick

Stunt Coordinator
Last night I saw a preview showing of this Bollywood-meets-Hollywood movie from the director(?) who gave us Bend It Like Beckham.

The show was two hours long. Traditionally, Indian films are 3 hours long. If you are a fan of the Bollywood style of film, then I believe that you will be pleasantly surprised by this movie. If you are new to it and exploring the Bollywood style, this movie is a pretty good compromise between Indian storylines and North American expectations. The majority of the songs and dialog is done in English.

The storyline is typical of Indian movies and will not come as a surprise to anyone who has watched Bollywood movies before. The characters also stick close to the norm as well. The songs are nicely produced.

I think this movie is a great introduction to Bollywood for those of us in North America. If you have some experience with the movies from India, you will probably notice the editing and some disjointed jumps amid the movie - scenes where we learn things that were obviously revealed earlier, but cut. This move is understandable as most people aren't used to the three hour length of many Indian films. Compromises were made in editing to adjust the Indian style with North American expectations.

If you like this movie in the theater, you will likely do yourself a great favor by picking this up on DVD in whatever form it appears in India. The whole story should hopefully be there with all scenes intact.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I was flipping through the channels tonight and came accross the tail end of a preveiw for a film called Bride and Prejudice and saw one of the most shockingly beautiful actresses i've ever seen! :eek:

She's the lead actress in the film I think and they said she was very popular in India, but I didn't catch her name. I tell you what though, I want to see more of her that's for damn sure!

Who is she? I must know.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
So is the search function. JW's thread has now been merged with the existing discussion.

M.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
I just saw this movie today and REALLY enjoyed it. I'm not a big fan of traditional musicals, but I usually enjoy fast-forwarding through Indian movies just for the musical numbers. The films themselves generally seem too long and difficult to follow for some reason.

This movie fixed that for me. The music was great. The dancing was terrific. It was in English. The girls were beautiful. I absolutely enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek aspect of everyone breaking into song while walking down the street.

It reminded me a lot of Grease, but more exotic.

I sincerely hope more movies are made like this and soon!

C

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

Just saw this movie on DVD. I thought the movie was just so so overall, but I was curious to hear more about the difference between a "true" Bollywood picture and the compromises this movie exhibited to fit with the American market. I have not seen any other Bollywood movie. Any insights would be appreciated.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Friend of mine has been trying to get me to watch Devdas forever, swearing that she is the most beautiful woman I will ever see (mind you my friend is female)...

--
H

OneWayFilms

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
I've never seen a Bollywood movie before, and I found this to be a WONDERFUL introduction to them. I must admit, I was amazed at how BEAUTIFUL and COLORFUL this movie was, the costumes were AMAZING. The musical numbers were very well done, even according to American standards, it beats many Amercian musicals I've seen.

The story line follows the very famulair story of PRIDE & PREJUDICE, but this time, it takes place in India and this is a MUSICAL version. Otherwise, same exact story.

This has become one of my all-time favorite musicals and I ran out to buy a copy after viewing it the first time. It's THAT good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks