Bride and Prejudice discussion

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Drue Elrick, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Drue Elrick

Drue Elrick Stunt Coordinator

Last night I saw a preview showing of this Bollywood-meets-Hollywood movie from the director(?) who gave us Bend It Like Beckham.

The show was two hours long. Traditionally, Indian films are 3 hours long. If you are a fan of the Bollywood style of film, then I believe that you will be pleasantly surprised by this movie. If you are new to it and exploring the Bollywood style, this movie is a pretty good compromise between Indian storylines and North American expectations. The majority of the songs and dialog is done in English.

The storyline is typical of Indian movies and will not come as a surprise to anyone who has watched Bollywood movies before. The characters also stick close to the norm as well. The songs are nicely produced.

I think this movie is a great introduction to Bollywood for those of us in North America. If you have some experience with the movies from India, you will probably notice the editing and some disjointed jumps amid the movie - scenes where we learn things that were obviously revealed earlier, but cut. This move is understandable as most people aren't used to the three hour length of many Indian films. Compromises were made in editing to adjust the Indian style with North American expectations.

If you like this movie in the theater, you will likely do yourself a great favor by picking this up on DVD in whatever form it appears in India. The whole story should hopefully be there with all scenes intact.

2. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

Is there a date for a wider opening of this film?

C

3. Drue Elrick

Drue Elrick Stunt Coordinator

In Canada at least, its the 25th of February. I'm not sure about the U.S.

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I was flipping through the channels tonight and came accross the tail end of a preveiw for a film called Bride and Prejudice and saw one of the most shockingly beautiful actresses i've ever seen! [​IMG]

She's the lead actress in the film I think and they said she was very popular in India, but I didn't catch her name. I tell you what though, I want to see more of her that's for damn sure!

Who is she? I must know. [​IMG]

5. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

I can't remember her name but I believe she used to be a Miss World or Miss Universe.

6. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
  7. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

So is the search function. JW's thread has now been merged with the existing discussion.

M.

9. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

I just saw this movie today and REALLY enjoyed it. I'm not a big fan of traditional musicals, but I usually enjoy fast-forwarding through Indian movies just for the musical numbers. The films themselves generally seem too long and difficult to follow for some reason.

This movie fixed that for me. The music was great. The dancing was terrific. It was in English. The girls were beautiful. I absolutely enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek aspect of everyone breaking into song while walking down the street.

It reminded me a lot of Grease, but more exotic.

I sincerely hope more movies are made like this and soon!

C

10. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

Just saw this movie on DVD. I thought the movie was just so so overall, but I was curious to hear more about the difference between a "true" Bollywood picture and the compromises this movie exhibited to fit with the American market. I have not seen any other Bollywood movie. Any insights would be appreciated.

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Friend of mine has been trying to get me to watch Devdas forever, swearing that she is the most beautiful woman I will ever see (mind you my friend is female)...

--
    H

12. OneWayFilms

OneWayFilms Auditioning

I've never seen a Bollywood movie before, and I found this to be a WONDERFUL introduction to them. I must admit, I was amazed at how BEAUTIFUL and COLORFUL this movie was, the costumes were AMAZING. The musical numbers were very well done, even according to American standards, it beats many Amercian musicals I've seen.

The story line follows the very famulair story of PRIDE & PREJUDICE, but this time, it takes place in India and this is a MUSICAL version. Otherwise, same exact story.

This has become one of my all-time favorite musicals and I ran out to buy a copy after viewing it the first time. It's THAT good.