What's new

Break In Period For Paradigm Speakers, Please Help???? (1 Viewer)

Dan Da Silva

Stunt Coordinator
I have a new pair of Mini Monitors and a CC-370 center speaker that I bought about a month ago. Now the Mini's sound fine but the CC-370 just doesn't sound right with the voices. I mean I can put in Gladiator and it will blow you away it is producing all effects beautifully but when there is dialogue it sounds almost muffled and I'm getting some static when people raise there voices to a higher tone. Is this normal in the beginning with this speaker or do you think the speaker is damaged??
------------------

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
That doesn't sound normal. I have the CC-350, the forerunner to the 370 and sounded good right out of the box. I would recommend discussing this with the dealer you purchased the speaker.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Sounds defective to me
frown.gif

Gregg
------------------
Link Removed
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
The Family Units

Darren H

Second Unit
I had a somewhat similar experience when I bought my Studio 40s. I was thrilled with their performance, but was bothered by a bit of low frequency distortion from one of the speakers. I took them back to the dealer twice. The first time I was helped by a younger guy, who talked me out of returning them. A week later I returned and dealt with one of the managers. He hooked them up to one of the store's high end systems, then informed me that one of the drivers was, in fact, very close to blowing. He went back to the storeroom, brought out a brand new, unopened pair, and sent me on my happy way.
Assuming that you bought your speakers from a licensed Paradigm dealer, take them back if you aren't completely satisfied. Their warranty is tough to beat.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
My 60's and CC sounded great out of the box. My dealer told me to break them in for about 40-60hrs and they'll only get better. But I believe your center might be defective. If you purchased the speaker from a local dealer just go back and have them hook the speaker up in the store and see if you can hear the same problem that you did at your house.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Try unhooking teh rest of the speakers and listening only to the offending speaker. That way, you'll know if it sounds wrong, and if it does, take it in immediately. If nothing else, you can hook it up to something at the dealership and compare it to the floor model to see if they sound any different.

Dan Da Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys I'm going to do some more testing later on with only the center speaker running and see how it sounds. If I don't like the way it sounds, it will be off to my dealer tonight to pick up my new one.
wink.gif

------------------

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Have you calibrated the speakers yet with Video Essentials or Avia? Besides level matching, you could have your center channel out of phase...
Greg

Thomas F

Stunt Coordinator
Something else to try would be to place the center speaker on another channel, and see if it sounds any better. This would eliminate your receiver from the problem.

Michael_V

Second Unit
A friend of mine and I both had similar experiences with our CC370s. Very muffled and harsh when we hooked them up, while my Monitor 7.2 fronts and his minimonitors sounded fine right out of the box. We were, of course, concerned but both found that after a short break-in period (maybe 50 hours through the center), they cleared up and now sound fantastic.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks