What's new

Brand of DVD players that are less tolerant to finger prints and scratches ? (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I would like to purchase a player for my kids room that would not have a hard time playing DVD's with finger marks or minor scratches. Any recommendations ?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Are the kids old enough to be taught to take care of their dvds?

Consumer Reports usually rates player's ability to handle scratched or smudged discs, maybe check their website, but kids too young to learn how to handle them with reasonable care are likely to do more damage than even the best players can handle. DVD just isn't a very toddler-friendly format.

I've had just about every major brand of player over the years and have found Panasonics to be the most finicky, Sony and JVC the least with the sometimes less than perfect rental discs I've tried.

StephenHa

Second Unit
I have found if you take 2 of the same units one will play a disk fine the other not at all, so really there is no great answer. My philips recorder does a great job with my sons smudged disks, but my toshiba they have to be spotless

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Thanks for the input guys...The player would be for a play room I've set up for them (this would include more bratty kids visting :D )....My Onkyo is not good with fingerprints and rentals, so I'll look into the other brands mentioned.

StephenHa

Second Unit
if possible take some smudged disks to teh store and see if they will let you play them

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks