boston vs ascend w/ jbl lx600's

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Bob_Campbell, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Bob_Campbell

Bob_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

Hi all and thanks for reading and respnoding to this thread.

My dad just gave me a pair of jbl lx600 speakers. This throws a wrench into my plans b/c I was planning on getting the ascend surround with the hsu vtf-2 sub.

How in your opinion do these speakers match up with the jbl's.(boston/ascend) How good of a speaker are the jbl's. Where, if any, should I use them in my surround sound system.

Any sugestions are greatly appericated.

thanks to all that reply.

Bob

2. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

I don't know anything about those JBLs but can you get a timbre match center channel for them? How big are they(I don't find an lx600 on audiogon bluebook), could you use them as your surround speakers?

3. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Where in PA are you?

There is at least one Ascend owner in the Philly that might be willing to have you over for a demo.

www.ascendforum.com

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Bob C.: Do those JBL's have a 10" dark silver woofer and midrange, a titanium dome tweeter with an intricate geometrical design on its surface, and gray grill with black ash veneer finish? And are they about 7-10 years old?

If so, then you have some good speakers on your hands. But if these are the ones I used to sell, these have quite a sizzly high-end, enough to where I had to turn down the treble control to tame them. IIRC, we used to sell them for about $600 a pair in 1994. And I think the LX series of speakers were just below their top home speaker series.

I checked JBL's product finder for them but they didn't have a picture ("image coming soon" it says) but it does have a brief written description: JBL LX600

They are technically "bookshelf" speakers but that definition is pushing it! [​IMG] (those things are quite heavy, maybe 35-40lbs each). They should be used on stands or a very sturdy shelf.

* They would make excellent front mains.

* They should match up with the Bostons O.K. but the JBL's bright treble will probably stand out. I have never heard any of Ascend's speakers, sorry.

LJ

5. Bob_Campbell

Bob_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

Lance,

They do have what you asked about, and they are 7-10 yrs old. So you would recomend these as my fronts over boston?

thanks

bob

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Bob:

Well, I don't know which Bostons you had in mind for front mains. But I personally like using larger speakers like these LX600s for that position--generally speaking I don't much like using speakers with a (single) woofer smaller than 6.5".

The JBLs would be wasted as rear channels unless you are planning to put this system in a very large room or use them as part of a sacd/dvd-audio music surround system.

LJ