Boston Acustics VRM-50.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Linkous, Dec 23, 2001.

1. James Linkous

Boston Acustics VRM-50.

I am in process of building my first HT. I want to spend less than $1500 for the speakers and must be small in size.

Hence, I started out listening to sats(paradigm and DT cinemas), but they just dont float my boat.

So today I started looking at small bookshelfs. Due to Christmas shopping I only had time for one stop where I listened to the Boston Acustics VRM-50 speakers. They dont get much PR, but I was really impressed.

A little pricey @ $610/pr(for my budget), but they are really small, and sounded much better than the sats I listened to.

Anyways, I plan at looking at other small bookshelfs, but thought I would get other opinions of the Boston Acustics VRM-50.

Thanks, Link

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

James,

The Boston VRM-50's are AWESOME speakers. The VRM-60's sound even better. When I upgraded my speakers in 2001, I went with Paradigm's Studio Line...40's in the front and 20's in the rear. NOT because I thought Paradigm sounded BETTER, but because I thought they were EQUAL in every respect and seeing I could travel to Canada and get the Dimes at a significant discount, I went that way. The Boston's came in a close second. If the option of getting the Paradigms cheaper up north wasn't there, I probably would have gone with the Boston's. Very full sound, great asthetics, awesome sounding on female vocals. I was very impressed. You have no worries with that line.

3. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

The Boston VR-M50's are great speakers. I have a pair of the VR-M60's that sound amazing to me. I have had them about a year and have no regrets in buying them. They are so much better musically than my last speakers- Polk RT800's- I have rediscovered CD's in my collection that I haven't listened to in years. The Polks were fine as HT speakers and not bad with music but the Boston's are a whole new level. They are a little lite in the bass department but that is to be expected for the size. I bought an SVS-2039PC about a month ago and it blends very well and adds that "punch" that I was missing. I am powering these with a Yamaha DSP-A1. If you are looking for a high quality speaker that does HT and music well I believe you can't go wrong with either the 50's or 60's.

4. James Linkous

By the way, I'm a newbee at this, have read a lot, much of here, and have seen a lot of Bose bashing.

Well they had a set of Bose lifestyle's in the same room as the VRM-50's. I asked the guy to switch to the Bose. What a joke! I actually started laughing. Now I know why all the Bose bashing!

Link