What's new

bose question? (1 Viewer)

Coreena

Auditioning
We recently purchased a Bose Lifestyle 35 system. The sound is great and we are very impressed with the redistribution of sound from non-5.1 sources, but we have one problem that is significant enough for us to consider getting rid of the system.
On the DVD player, many movies display the subtitles and cannot be turned off. This even occurs on movies that do not have a subtitle option. I contacted Bose and was told that this was simply the result of faulty programming on the DVDs themselves, but it should not happen too often. The rep also said that as far as he knew, they were not working on a software patch for the problem.
The majority of our movie collection is DVD and when I tested a dozen or so at random, I found that almost half had this problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Do you know a way around it? Help! We're at our wit's end.
Coreena

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Other players have had similar problems, and could be corrected with firmware updates to the player itself. What you are describing sounds like your player is incorrectly programmed on how to handle subtitles. I think we'd all like to know more. Could you give us a run-down of titles that you've tried that had the problem?

Coreena

Auditioning
Some of the titles we have had this problem with include The Royal Tenenbaums, Analyze This, Tortilla Soup, Appollo 13, and American History X. The Bose rep said Disney movies often cause a real problem with this, but we watched the Aristocats with no problem.
A programming error has definitely crossed my mind as another aspect of this glitch seems to be that the auto-subtitle seems to need to be set to on in order to turn it off, and the settings need to be restored every time the system is turned back on.
It's been a few days since I checked the software version but (I think) it's 1.01.01.
Any of this help?
Thanks in advance

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I could hardly believe that the DVD's would be responsible for this problem. I have over 150 titles and have never had or even heard of that kind of problem. I would say it was something with the player. A good solution would be to go back to where you bought the system with your own movies that are doing this on your player,& try them out on some different brand stuff & see what happens.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I've had a second-generation Sony since 1998 and have played hundreds of DVDs and have never had a problem like this. I own two of the discs you mentioned above and I've rented a third and none of them have exhibited a problem.

This sort of thing is almost always a firmware problem with the DVD player (there have been notable exceptions, but nowhere near as high a percentage as you've been experiencing).

No one else has mentioned it, so I guess I'll be the one who breaks the ice. Bose products aren't all that well liked around here. If you liked the system and it was trouble-free, that's one thing, but this sort of problem is unacceptable in anyone's book and the fact that Bose is trying to pretend the problem isn't with their $1,000+ product is infuriating.

In my opinion you should demand that Bose exchange the system you bought as defective. If the replacement unit exhibits the same problem, return it for a refund. Then come back here and I'm sure any number of members can point you in the direction of a system you'll be quite happy with.

JoanPablo_T

Stunt Coordinator
actually Disney and other companies have admitted to some issues. BOSE is releasing in the next month or so a software update. if it is a BOSE issue, that update will take care of it. You can call their tech line and be put on the list for the update as soon as it comes around.
To play the devils advocate, people have bought Rotel RSP-1066's that have problems (hiss comes to mind) and have had the faith in the company to offer a fix. Give BOSE the benefit and stick with it if you like the system.
As a side note, to get the subtitles out, try this!
play the movie until you see the subtitles, go into the 'settings' menu of the BOSE system, turn the subtitles ON. Then get out of the menu completely. Go back in, and turn the subtitles back OFF. That should take care of it!
-at least to their is a fix!
Good luck Coreena!
JP
:)

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
It's ridiculous that Bose would try to shift the blame for this problem. You're paying top dollar for a system that doesn't work.

I'd take it back for a refund and shop other brands.

Jan

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Coreena,

I really don't want too open up a can off worms, but take back the Bose setup and get yourself a receiver, dvd and some nice speakers.

Kevin

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I certainly agree. Bose is crap and I would not buy them if they PAID me to buy them. They're a crappy company (look at them trying to shift blame on software manufacturers). If it truly was a problem with Disney or other studios, then we'd be seeing this problem on all players.
I would return the unit for a refund and get something of higher quality. You could get quality that beats Bose by a mile with a $1,000.00 budget. Just give the cash to us and we'll help you do the shopping. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks