What's new

BOSE=BIG profit (1 Viewer)

Travis G

Stunt Coordinator
Haven't any of you heard the expression, "You get what you pay for?" If Bose was so bad their products wouldn't cost so much. I watched a television program about their acoustic wave guide system and a blues musician said that it was a good product. I also heard a guy on the radio say that Bose speakers were great. Why would these people say that Bose speakers were good if they were so bad?

Name me one speaker that can reflect more sound around your room than the 901.

Travis

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Haven't any of you heard the expression, "You get what you pay for?" If Bose was so bad their products wouldn't cost so much. I watched a television program about their acoustic wave guide system and a blues musician said that it was a good product. I also heard a guy on the radio say that Bose speakers were great. Why would these people say that Bose speakers were good if they were so bad?
:D Oh man, that's a classic! I haven't laughed so hard in ages (my apologies if you were being serious, but I'm assuming you forgot to add a ;) ).
Adam

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
My FAVORITE part of this whole discussion is that there is someone on here that knows more than most of us do about speakers actually defending Bose. This discussion can ONLY get MORE interesting.

GaryD

Auditioning
I really don't think it matters if Bose is made of questionable material or not, or even if they charge an arm and a leg. Fact is, listening is all subjective and if the most exposure most people have are coming from their car stereo, then sure Bose products are going to sound great.
My brother and I sat in on a demo @ of those little Bose cubes (and probably their Acoustimass subs) a long time ago. I was pretty blown away by the sound I was hearing (I was also there for a chance at their giveaway contest). Previous to that, I only had some rinky-dink computer speakers. But the $$$ turned me off pretty quick. But then while perusing the aisles, I noticed that the Bose products aren't priced too far from what looks to be "similar" products to the average--I hate to say--MISinformed consumer? Okay, maybe the word I'm looking for is ignorant. Not ignorant in the bad way, but really ignorant as in not really caring one way or the other.
So, I don't think Bose is wrong in any way for charging what they CAN. A lot of things are first impressions and I think Bose does a good job of making a good one.
BTW, the off-hand comment about Bose being marketed for "The Wife"...please. I'm sure a lot of "Husbands" and guys impulse-buy Bose products...
Edit:
Well, well, well. Found this interesting link from another Bose thread. Bose not using Bose products during a demo? http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...t=bose+curtain

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Gary,
The Acoustimass system is marketed for it's WAF... No guy
with common sense is going to pick a small speaker over a
BIG speaker.. It's just a guy thing! LOL :D

Norman Short

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with Brett on this one. I spent a dozen years or so in audio/video retail and I remember well when I worked for a chain that developed a close tie to Bose. Their reps came in and trained our sales people how to demo the Acoustimass speakers, offered free product and high commissions for selling them. They set up a separate area from the rest of our speakers so people couldn't easily compare, and gave us demo discs to be used exclusively for their demos, which obviously was music designed to show off the strengths and diminish their weaknesses. I had no choice in the matter as manager of just one store in the chain.
I'm not sure if I would have done away with them at the time even if I could; I was a much more cynical individual at the time and I felt that if someone was stupid enough to buy the Bose even if I showed them alternatives they got what they deserved. But I later changed my feelings as I saw it wasn't duped guys buying these things; it was husbands being forced to buy them by their wives who apparently had a firm hold on their manhood and threatened to squeeze at the least opportunity. I've sold at least a hundred of those cube sets to guys who were kicking their toes on the carpet while their wives stood with arms crossed and told him he could have the Bose or nothing at all. I started feeling really bad for these guys, while I felt angry at them as well for allowing anyone to so crush their spirit and spend their money so unwisely.
Wives are the ones driving the sale of these speakers, though I admit there are some who just buy into the marketing and get the Bose without comparing them to anything else. My own brother did that, and he kicks himself every time he thinks about what he could have gotten with that money. For some reason he bought them at a Bose outlet store without consulting me, which he had done for most of his audio/video purchases in the past.
I have changed my feelings on speakers in general if not for Bose in the years since. I used to subscribe to the bigger is better school of speaker choice, and to some degree I still do; I'm running the rather large Klipsch La Scalas as small in my current system. But I have recognized that with proper subwoofage smaller speakers are quite viable. Bose continues to suck, however.
Have to stick up for Tom Brennan though; I myself love the effortless dynamics, high level of detail and realism that efficient horn loaded speakers provide. Certainly there are things to be careful about with horns to avoid "honking" or other resonances, and not all horns are created equal anymore than cones. Unfortunately the world seems to have largely forgotten them, as more and more people care more about decor and where they can hang another plant than what makes good sound. Most of the people on this forum excepted, of course :).
Norman Short

Travis G

Stunt Coordinator
Loudspeaker evaluation is not like wine tasting, though a majority of audio sales persons and magazine reviewers treat it like that. Unlike in wine tasting, you have an absolute reference in naturally occurring sounds. Familiarize yourself with a wide range of un-amplified sounds and keep them in mind when you try to judge the accuracy of a loudspeaker.

GaryD

Auditioning
Yeah, of course listening (or should it be hearing?) isn't all subjective. Eh, heh, I got that one a little wrong since I guess I meant a bit of both. So, for reference most people would have, for example, their car stereos. Compared to that, the Bose speakers probably sound a cut above...

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
The Acoustimass system is marketed for it's WAF... No guy
with common sense is going to pick a small speaker over a
BIG speaker.. It's just a guy thing! LOL :D
Brett;
Oh man, I wish I could say that this was true in my case, but it wasn't. I'm not married, nor have I ever been married. I purchased a set of Bose Acoustimass 10s about 5 years ago because I was totally sold on the marketing hype. Actually, it wasn't all marketing that hooked me into Bose. My brother did purchase an Acoustimass system with two cubes and the bass module, and my years of listening to Bose speakers (and little else) convinced me that nothing could beat that brand.
Since that time, I have rectified my actions with two speaker upgrades in the past year. The first being the Home Theater Direct Level III speakers which replaced the Bose, and more recently the Diva by Swans speakers that replaced the HTDs. I'm light years ahead of the Bose brand now, and I never intend to go back.
If anything, I could say that because I purchased the Bose speakers when I was a mere 18 years of age, I could say that I was young and didn't know any better. Would that be all right with you guys?
:)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Jeff,
Sure we can forgive ya.. We all make mistakes when we are
young right? But I bet it took a while to "DeBositize"
your ears! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks