What's new

Borg on Enterprise (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Berman has no respect whatsoever. They must be pretty desperate for ratings:
From Cinescape
"Regeneration" is the episode of ENTERPRISE that will feature the first appearance of The Borg on the show. As fans of the movie series already know, in FIRST CONTACT Picard and his crew on the Enterprise-E destroyed a Borg craft attempting to time travel back to the year 2063. After the Enterprise elimated the Borg threat they returned back to the 24th century, but apparently they didn't finish cleaning up all the Borg remnants. In the year 2152, a pair of scientists discover the remains of the Borg starship in the Arctic along with the bodies of two drones. Once the corpses are brought into a warm environment they reactivate and begin assimilating the human researchers and their ship. The Enterprise NX-01 is called by Starfleet to investigate and give chase.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Why are they operating under the assumption that people still like the Borg? Most complain that Voyager ruined them.

Next: Q!

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Voyager didn't really ruin them, it over exposed them. The borg, like Q, are best served in Doses or else they loose their mistique.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
It's about time! I figured this subject would come up again.

The only sad part is that in order to fix everything, Archer and his ship will be another victim of the terporal wars.

Glenn

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
No hope for the creatively bankrupt loons in charge of this franchise. When one's imagination has run dry it is time to move on. I'm set to give up on this series. Really. It's such a chore to sit through episodes as it is.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I think this show could be really good. But first, they have to bring in a new regime change. Bring in Leanord Nimoy, or Stewart and Spiner. Have them end the Temproal Cold War in Season three, so anything involving TNG aliens like Ferengi, Romulans, or the Borg are erased from the shows history, and continue from there.....

Perfect reason to bring in those Voyager Time cops from the 30th(?) Century, that go around fixing damage to the time line.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
No, it's early May sweeps. And, for what it's worth, Sussman & Strong have the only writing credits (as reported by www.trektoday.com), so it may not be sucked into the Berman/Braga vortex of... well, sucking.

And, actually, that plot has some merit. It's easily contained, and as long as the word Borg isn't used, it doesn't unduly affect the hardcore Trekkers' precious continuity. (It's the word first that bothers me - you can do this once, but that's about it)

Why are they operating under the assumption that people still like the Borg? Most complain that Voyager ruined them.
Most loud people. The more casual fans who Paramount is targeting absolutely eat the Borg up - they were always good for a Voyager ratings spike. And don't forget, Voyager has consistently had higher ratings and higher ancilary-merchandise sales than DS9. The impression that you'd get from reading the net - that Voyager is rightly loathed by most Trek fans - is not necessarily accurate.

Besides, we all know the Borg were ruined by First Contact, although their decline has been visible since "The Best Of Both Worlds Part One"

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
Well I did like the 1st Season of Enterprise, it was somewhat fresh but I have to say the 2nd season has been lacking. I hope they don't try and rehash elements from TNG DS9 and and Voyager throughout the rest of the series, having contact with the Ferengi is ok I dont mind that much but the Borg, that really has no place on Enterprise. I was really hoping to see more conflict with the romulans or the Klingons but not much happening there.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Most loud people. The more casual fans who Paramount is targeting absolutely eat the Borg up
Amen to that, Jason. Speaking as a casual fan (will watch the episodes when they appear, but can have a complete life without possessing a limited edition Captain Kirk figurine and has bought the Three Colours Trilogy in preference to the first DS9 box set) I *like* Enterprise and I *like* appearances of the Borg. I think most folks watching these series couldn't give a fig about timelines provided there is a reasonable plot and decent acting. I know that hardened Trekkers regard this as heresy, but a large proportion of people watching have a life outside an imaginary world of spaceships.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I know that hardened Trekkers regard this as heresy, but a large proportion of people watching have a life outside an imaginary world of spaceships.
Sure, take the most inflamatory angle you can. I mean, I've got a life outside fandom, but that doesn't mean I think consistency and quality are optional.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
That's very weak. I pretty much gave up on the ST franchise about midway through DS:9's run. Rather than create interesting races that contribute to establish a unique world belonging to each series (Ferengi, Dominion, Cardassians, Q, Borg, etc) they seem to have fallen back to just overexposing and re-hashing things now. Time to pull the plug.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Sure, take the most inflamatory angle you can.
Trust me, I was restrained.

Are the objections about poor acting? No
Are the objections about scripts that are poor in themselves? No
Are the objections about contravening 'laws' only believed (and indeed invented) by a minority of viewers? Yes

Ergo, a sense of proportion is needed.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Sigh... I dropped the Season Pass for Enterprise from Tivo a few weeks ago and suspect that I'm one of the many who've dropped this show.

When I first heard the premise I thought they could do something interesting with it. Surely there were great stories that could have been told about the foundation of the federation. But no. Not when you have producers that can't steer the ship to save their lives.

Sad. Truly Sad. Oh well, at least I have all of TOS and TNG on DVD. Whenever I need a trek fix I can revisit the time when they *had* a clue.

-greg

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
For people who care about Continuity, and I'm one of them, maby the folks in the Star Wars universe should take charge.

They have an interesting article in the latest Insider on how they actually took the time and had the gumption to fix about 25 years of Novel Continuity errors. So that everything ever published about SW has an in-universe answer.

Maby B and B should take a look at it :). It's not a question about not having a life out side of Star Trek. It's a question of lazieness. When even a CASUAL viewer can spot a continuity error that the guys in CHAARGE missed, then you know they don't care as much as they used to about the franchise. And all of these re-hashes show that they are starting to get burned out, wich is understandable. Anyone would after 600 hours of TV.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
You can write a compelling program, and have interesting topics without going against continuity. Good scifi does this. Casual viewers can watch and enjoy a program like Stargate SG-1, but regular viewers can appreciate the very detailed continuity that transpires through the seven seasons. Just making a good one off program does not absolve creators of continuity. If that were the case, they could have an episode of Will and Grace where Will was straight, or an episode of Six Feet Under where Nathaniel Fisher is alive and well.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Hey...I could care less about continuity, and I like the Borg as much as the next guy...WHEN THEY'RE WRITTEN WELL! When they're brought out as a desperation ratings move on a show that's pretty poorly written to begin with I think it's time to re-evaluate the "creative" personnel running the Trek franchise.

The fact that this temporary band-aid for one (or two) nights of an artificial sweeps ratings boost is only going to alienate hardcore Trekkers and muddy the continuity further is just icing on the cake.

No, I'm sorry...the fact that this sounds like a "Thing" ripoff on top of dragging out the Borg for ratings is icing on the cake.

Shut this tapped out staff down and start from scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks