What's new

Borderlands Series discussion (2 Viewers)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yes, TVH mode allows you to go further in level. You want to get out of TVH mode at as close to Level 50 as possible, if you want to go on to UVH mode. This is because your weapons level is capped at 50, even though your character level isn't. You want to enter UVH mode at as low a character level as possible (i.e. 50), because your enemies are based on that level, and they will be up to (IIRC) 2 levels higher. Your level 50 weapons will be quite ineffective and frustrating if starting UVH mode with e.g. a level 54 character and possibly level 56 enemies. UVH is a whole different ballgame!

Some DLCs increase your level cap. I am speaking of the PS3 now, and you had to buy one DLC to get your cap increased to 61 (in UVH mode), and another DLC to get it capped at 72 (IIRC) and to give you the OP (over-powered) weapon modes. You will hit 61 long before completing UVH mode...I didn't even get half-way, and I stopped, while I pondered getting the next DLC/level cap increase.

So basically you only have to worry about cap limits if you're going to play UVH mode. As they say, that's where the real game starts! They sure make you go through a lot to get there though...

Sorry, I'm also unclear about the DLCs. I used to know the details (it's why I skipped playing the lower-level DLCs), but that was a few games ago and now I forget almost everything BL2. So it's going to be a bit tough when I start up again in the middle of UVH. I still haven't played any PS4 Borderlands yet BTW, was going to transfer my PS3 character/game over but got distracted by some other stuff. The PS4 version has all the level cap upgrades included. I don't know how they sell them for the PC. If it's like the console games, and you have the plain PC game with no DLCs at all, then I'll guess your character and weapon levels are capped at 50.

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Cross-saving between PS3 and PS4 is a very simple process after all. Certain things don't transfer, but I eventually got around most of it, I do remember a few small BL2 tricks, so generally successful. Gearbox gives you some "compensation" to help make up for the stuff you lose, plus a small "gift" for your loyalty and trouble.

What annoyed me the most, and wasted a bunch of time, is there was an update (from 2018 no less) to the PS3 game (how often does that happen these days; I haven't played it since last July). No idea what it did re the game, besides the fact that it completely erased all my installed DLCs, so I had to re-install every one of them. Weird. But OTOH Gearbox is pretty considerate of their customers overall, much more so than most studios, and they go out of their way to give you flexibility/options rather than restrictions. [Edit: after checking around, lots of PS3 users lost a lot more than just their DLCs, they lost characters and "years" of gameplay by the update.]

PS4 game does look noticeably better. Motion is noticeably smoother, seems faster too. I have Supersampling on, Boost off (+ Pro). Much more depth to the image, better contrast and colors, greater clarity. But still very BL-looking. The "menus" look no better than on the PS3, still fuzzy/hazy, they didn't spend one second improving their look (they sure don't look like what you expect from 1080p), odd considering how important data is in this game, and how much time you spend in the "menus". The DS4 light bar changes color depending on the elemental effect of your weapon...kinda cool, but IDK if it'll be useful.

Edit: I played a bit. I'm getting slaughtered here, reminds me of when I first started BioShock 2, I can't move more than a few feet without dying. Level 61 in UVHM. I kinda thought this might happen, dropping into the middle of UVHM after being away for most of a year. One thing I find very strange is I feel, from my POV, that I'm about 2' tall and am wearing blinders. Didn't get this feeling on the PS3...and I've maxed out the PS4 BL2 field-of-view setting...and it's not like I've played any PSVR for a few months so the feeling of being "cramped" would be more understandable. One thing I forgot to do at first is to re-instate all my Badass tokens (>200 of them), but it hasn't helped much so far. I like the challenge, but I'm broke now, not that I ever buy much anyway.

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I am a little confused by the level cap. I thought if I played in True Vault Hunter Mode, after beating the game on standard, it allows me to go higher in level. Is that not true?

On this same note, if I install a DLC, will it be leveled up to my character's level?
Scott: I gave you some bad info before. I believed or misunderstood what I was told and regardless it is incorrect, sorry about that.

The DLCs that I have tried, starting at Level 61 on the PS4, are definitely leveled to your character level. Now it may depend on when the DLC was developed, at what stage the maximum level cap DLCs were at when the game DLC was produced, but I don't think so, they (so far) all seem integrated and follow the same rules (such as they are in the game...). The DLCs make a nice change of pace.

Last edited:

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am playing UVHM now and boy is it much, much harder than TVHM. I can plow into a standard enemy with a TMP (level 50) and his health bar barely drops.

The normal enemies seem way to powerful now but the fist few bosses haven't seemed as overpowered. I got Flintlock pretty easily.

Is this how is will be going forward?

I just finished the Firehawk mission and had to keep running away like a little chicken back to the machines and though the door the badass psychos can't pass. :)

Normally I would level up, but it seems that is not an option in UVHM. I hear the enemies will just level up with you.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yup, standard enemies will be up to 2 levels higher than you. In UVHM, even a lowly varkid can kill you. It'll seem like old hat soon enough though. Mostly. The one thing is, eventually farming is not optional. And I hate farming, so I played until I was at L72 and most of the (previously) good weapons etc. I had accumulated were 5 or 6 levels old and were practically useless.

May go back to it after playing some other games in the backlog, I do still find it fun and challenging. The looks of the game belie how complex it actually is at higher levels (when you have more skills/options), no wonder the "geeks" like it and it remains so popular. Enjoy Caustic Caverns in UVHM! :)

Last edited:

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I think the biggest problem for me is that in UVHM sniper rifles are basically useless. Even in TVHM I could one shot the standard robots or humans. Even though I have leveled sniper rifles, they no longer one shot anything.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I like the sniper rifles too, and usually carry at least 5 of them. Rarely got a chance to use them in UVHM, you have to really kind of force it (playing an Axton). A good slagging sniper rifle could be useful if you find the opportunity though, in UVHM the first shot will (probably...) slag and then you can either switch to something that does more damage, or just keep using the slagger as it will still do a lot of damage. Forget one-shotting for the most part though, just be happy with the kill and surviving...

You will find that the game is fairly generous in UVHM with slagging sniper rifles that are extremely accurate and also have an extremely high probablility of slagging, as well as do a good deal of raw damage...I took that as a "hint".

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Did you see that BL2 has been announced for a PSVR (only) version release just before Christmas?

People in PSVR forums have been clamoring for this. BL2 is all about the guns. The Aim is a gun peripheral. How perfect the match would be! Since Sony, for some reason, is really only supporting the Aim in PSVR games, then we'll take the VR if that's what it takes to get the Aim support, the VR would make it even (much) better.

But the game isn't supporting the Aim, as announced so far. I certainly can't see going for it then (that's what I say now :)), they kind of missed the point of why we wanted it in PSVR in the first place.

They'd also have to have PS4 game (at least) character importing. I can't see that many players being enthused about having to start a character from scratch, it is such a grind to one get to a high level (without "cheating" etc.). And even when you get there it's a bit of a grind to keep your character relevant/capable at that high level. IDK if they have character importing...probably do. There are some new Skills that the lack of coop required (some enemies are "impossible" to kill by yourself); when you import a character you redistribute Skill points anyway, so that's no prob.

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
And now the "perfect marriage" has happened: Aim support for BL2 VR with the PS4; people are reporting it works well after the first couple days. It is almost amazing that people are still playing this game (BL2 of any type), and that new people are trying it out...I suppose largely because it is/was considered an AAA title, and there aren't many of those for PSVR, and (some) people will buy almost anything that uses the Aim.

The PSVR exclusivity is supposedly ending in May, so there'll be other VR versions, and likely even hard copies (DL only now).

Edit: There is no character importing feature, no coop, and none of the DLC. The max level you can play to is 50. So far I haven't encountered any of the "serious" PS4 players switching to the VR game, in fact BL2 VR is essentially never mentioned. Too much time invested in their characters, plus they can't load up a buggy/truck with their buddies and "go to town" via coop. It could be fun starting from scratch in VR, equipped with "nothing" except a huge amount of game knowledge...

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
upload_2019-3-12_15-48-1.png

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
mhunterchump

There's a hidden shift code in the trailer, not sure what it does though:

C35TB-WS6ST-TXBRK-TTTJT-JJH6H

Credit to Arekkz for the code find:

EDIT, Typo on a S and a 5, it's fixed now. Thanks for catch u/falseg0ds

EDIT 2, Here's what you get:

Mask Teaser Hidden SHiFT Code!

March 27, 2019

Thank you for being excited enough to dissect the new bandit mask with the grace of Dr. Zed! As a reward, you have been granted Salvador's Community Day skin and 5 Golden Keys! There are more skins to be granted, so good luck out there, Vault Hunter!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Tomorrow... Wow, that guy sure put a lot of effort into analyzing that clip. I like it, you have to expect a lot of hidden/tricky stuff in anything BL, even a teaser clip, plus humor, both subtle/arcane and not so much.

It'll probably be a year+ before I get to this game anyway (PS5, XB Two ??). You didn't happen to hear any VR chatter about it, did you?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ It might come.

BL2 VR just got a notice that the BL2 DLCs are coming to PSVR soon. Wow, they're hitting all the marks. Coop is the main thing left that people want; the new VR Skill setup was to help compensate for there not being coop, so IDK about future coop. But hey, they said No Mans Sky couldn't be done in VR for the PS4, not a powerful enough machine, but it's apparently coming too. I guess there's not as much "extra" going on on the host machine (for PSVR vs flat) as we might imagine. So far these PSVR conversions of flat games have been pretty good, I never would have thought it...

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ This has been bothersome for me too. Some recent "franchise" games are single-player almost as a throw-in, it's clearly not what the game is about. But I understand the multi-player aspect from a marketing perspective: peer presssure to join in with your friends, so everybody needs to buy a copy, or you get left out. But I hear watching other people play is a big deal these days too...

JaysonPriceful

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
Ahhh, I'm so excited I started replaying the old games but then I saw the news that they will release remastered versions so I think I'll have to wait a bit more. And I seriously doubt that they would make borderlands 3 somehow multiplayer exclusive. That doesn't even make sense. Previous games have that so why make the new one have less features?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks