What's new

Bollywood DVDs...reviewed for PQ and Sound? (1 Viewer)

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Here are a few I'd recommend:

Dil Se
The story is okay, but the songs, cinematography & 5.1 mix are terrific.

Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge
Hugely popular flick that's a lot of fun. Songs are very catchy.

Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam
So-so story again, but songs & cinematography are wonderful. I have the UK two-disc NTSC R0 DVD, which has a spectacular PQ.

WillardK

Second Unit
That's true Jeffrey, and is especially annoying with films unusually adept at integrating the musical numbers into the plot/characterisations. It may or may not be a good sign, but the last few vintage color discs I've purchased HAVE had subtitled songs as well as good transfers (besides very occasional macroblocking(?)). I don't know what's going on with the labels, but when ordering DEI discs I received discs on Bollywood Entertainment which seem generally better than what I've seen previously on DEI (considered to be one of the best). Whether the labels are affiliated, BE is a distributor or the dealer just knows his product well I couldn't say... and I'd rather give benefit of the doubt than suspect they are bootlegs (company name and info are printed clearly). If I could find b&w films treated this well on dvd I'd be happy.

Another caveat... the only dvd in my collection I've noticed to have gone 'bad' over time so far is a Bollywood title (Umrao Jaan on DEI). I think it's not uncommon for Bollywood collectors to back up their favorites.

I don't know if these links have been posted before, but:
Planet Bollywood
BollyWHAT?!

WillardK

Second Unit
I just thought it worth a mention that FilmFest DC is featuring Indian imports (broader than the scope of Bollywood, a term it looks like they're avoiding) this year. It starts in about a week. A full schedule can be found here. It's an interesting line up.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yes!

I plan to see quite a few. Any other HTF folks interested in meeting up at any of the shows and meeting face-to-face?

-dave :)

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I've been reading this thread with interest, and picked up a copy of Rangeela. We enjoyed Rangeela, but the wife and I would be very interested in seeing a movie featuring some of the traditional costumes. Can anyone recommend a well-transfered import with at least a few good scenes involving traditional dress?

WillardK

Second Unit
I had an enjoyable evening at a showing of Mughal-e-Azam last night (the bf had never seen a Bollywood film in it's entirety and he enjoyed it also). The plot was fairly standard with a typically overextended conclusion, but the enthusiasm of the melodrama carried it through... not to mention the opulent sets, wonderfully filmed dancing and lovely music. Overall the crowd was pleased enough to applaud.

So much to choose from this year (including new Soldonz and Ozon)! I'll be seeing more selections than I would have guessed at first glance (ended up getting a package deal and then some). Ah, Washington... not my favorite of cities, but while here Filmfest has become something to look forward to every year. I might recognize you, David, amongst the friendly Washingtonians... but don't worry, I won't say hello.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey Willard!

Sorry to have been such a louse about getting back to you on the films...

Was away all weekend in NYC (a last minute thing--got to see the Sony Qualia SXRD RP TV and front projector...) and last week was insane with late nights at work...

HOWEVER...

plan on doing a few films this week...maybe the one on Tuesday? I'll let you know as soon as I get my schedule staight and if we both end up at the same film it would be great to say hello...

cheers!

dave :)

WillardK

Second Unit
Helloooo David...

Yeah, yeah, I was just ribbing you... and if I see you, I WILL say hello.:) Most of what I had planned to see has already happened (went thurs thru last night non-stop and need a break), though I might be at the closing event. It's been good so far. I was only disappointed once (Soldonz) but even then was glad to have attended.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
For anyone looking for Bollywood DVDs, I have to put in a plug for www.nehaflix.com I just ordered a DVD from them. They shipped it out the same day. Great site. Plus, they have a lot of DVDs in the $5 range.

I used to order from indiaweekly but they have been on the decline for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks