What's new

Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO. Chapek takes over... but now Iger's back, baby! (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
The Orlando Sentinel has an article on their site about the recent Disney shareholders meeting where Bob Iger & Bob Chapek we’re both questioned about some sensitive issues, including Song Of The South (1948) and the Disney parks.

Unfortunately the article is behind the OS paywall. If anyone can get to it, give us the lowdown (legally of course)

58E69D9B-5504-4A29-897E-D77E7E768C39.png

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Yes I heard that Paycheck shut down somebody asking about the possibility that Disney's woke agenda is hurting its profits. Would love to know the specifics.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Not only did Iger say no, he also added about the withdrawal of the film: “That’s actually true with some of the other things that we’ve made as well." So that strongly suggests they're going to do it to more movies and TV shows as well.

Robert Iger needs to be fired from the company altogether, not just put in an emeritus position where he still can do damage. It's not just because of this ludicrous and condescending farce, but this is symptomatic of a larger problem. This company needs to be totally de-Eisnerized. I don't care if it takes another shareholder revolt. The arrogance on display here should not be rewarded with consumer dollars. They always drive out the wrong people. They drove out Ron Miller when they should have driven out Card Walker. Who knows how long Howard Ashman would have stuck around if he hadn't died. And they largely left the Sherman Brothers out of the studio's creative recovery except for nostalgia-related events.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
It ain't your father's Disney anymore, that's for sure. I'll never return to the Florida parks again now that everything is being Marvelized, especially at EPCOT. Lucasfilm and Marvel products have their place in the new Disney pantheon, but not ahead of properties that were imagined by Walt and his original team.

The recent execs claim to be forward looking, but in my opinion they're only looking forward to cashing in on their golden parachutes.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I don’t agree with holding back Song of the South either, but for crying out loud, Bob Iger has done more for the Disney company than anyone since Walt’s death. He leaves that company in immensely better shape than he found it.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I don’t agree with holding back Song of the South either, but for crying out loud, Bob Iger has done more for the Disney company than anyone since Walt’s death. He leaves that company in immensely better shape than he found it.
And now he returns to that company in much worse shape that he left it. Heck of a job Chappie.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Holy crap. This is crazy good news. As one of the rare Canadian annual passholders for Disneyland (and some years, Disney World, too), Chapek straight up ruined the park going experience. Josh D'Amaro shares a lot of the blame, but Chapek drove the bus. Straight into a wall.

Good riddance to Chapek, and welcome back to Bob Iger.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Iger definitely has a reputation as being talent friendly, and I don't think there's much doubt that kurfluffles like the Scarlett Johansson pay dispute or Disney's very public clash with DeSantis wouldn't have happened under him. Iger had always been proactive, while Chapek has seemed hamfistedly reactive.

Holy crap. This is crazy good news. As one of the rare Canadian annual passholders for Disneyland (and some years, Disney World, too), Chapek straight up ruined the park going experience. Josh D'Amaro shares a lot of the blame, but Chapek drove the bus. Straight into a wall.
Chapek made it very, very clear that he no longer wanted the Disney parks to be an aspirational vacation experience for middle class families, but solely an exclusive experience for affluent families. Whatever short-term profits that approach promised, it did undeniable damage to the Disney brand as a whole.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I was just on my way here to post this news. Looks like I don't have to now.

I found out from a video by a very giddy John Campea. He really doesn't like Chapek.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks