What's new

Blu_Ray vs HD-DVD or Wait? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
shouldn't this be in the polls forum?

and to answer the question, i'm a little more interested in HD DVD.
Universal, Paramount, and Warner own more content i have more of a burning interest in.

Heinz W

Second Unit
Both.

My TV is capable (HDMI) and I'm ready for HD movies on disc. So, as it stands now I'm getting both. HD DVD has Warners (and yes, 2001!). Sold! Blu-ray will have Lawrence of Arabia. Sold!

I can't wait for a optical HD format. It is a little inconvenient to have to have two machines, but my love for movies and home theater far outweighs that. Another thing to remember is that they won't launch at the same time. Buy the HD DVD this Fall, and a Blu-ray player next Spring. Probably six months in between.

Though it doesn't affect me I believe someone will address the analog component issue via a switcher or adapter that still allows maximum resolution. We'll see.

It can't get here soon enough for me.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
My vote is to wait. I would concentrate my efforts in to HD over the air or satellite and D-VHS. I've seen D-VHS with U-571 via D-Theater and it was great. I know HD via DVD from Blue Ray or HD-DVD will produce an equally pristine picture, but I tell you this ridiculous war is not worth me buying in to it.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I would imagine I will buy both when they are each (players) at around $200. or a universal player at around $400. price.

I highly doubt they will pull together to one HD format, I'm guessing there will be many side line companies willing to make universal players that will by far out sell the stand alones. Look at how many DVD-VCR combos there are out there. "Go Video" has made a killing off these units, I can see a "GO Video" HD-DVD/Bluray player on the horizon.

Wes

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'll buy both. I'm sure that many that are on the "wait" part will breakdown once they see the discs and the players.

Considering how big the upgraditis bug hits here, I suspect we'll all fall to the HD upgrade bug and buy them both(if we have the proper set).

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
I'll be a few miles behind the front lines of this war....watching and learning while spending time in forums as it all plays out. My library of standard discs is growing on an almost daily basis. This current personal library will prove essential for many, many years to come. After a few years....I'll be making the upgrade and will replace a certian selection of titles. I just don't see Aswang or Day of Anger on a new format for several years. I can say the same for many films. So I'll upgrade later and then....slowly. Until then, the dvd library must be preserved. PLEASE.....BEG for better quality control with the new discs. Delamination should be something we learned to fix. Right?

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I can wait. I've just got comfortable on the fence and I'm happy to wait and see what mistakes are made, and who crashes and burns. Then, and only once the price point for both hardware and software establishes itself sensibly might I even consider upgrading my display and whatever player I might need. Like a great many people, I'm not made of money and when I do go HD, it'll only be after a great deal of thought.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
I'll wait it out. I won't go to the expense of buying a player when it isn't certain which one, if either, will win out in the end.

DeanWG

Stunt Coordinator
Having just made the jump to HD and a progressive scan player myself, the desire to re-watch much of our DVD library has conviently pushed me to the wait list. I have so much viewing ahead of me that by the time I care, hopefully everything will be sorted out. :)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I'll go with the one that allows me to watch HD on either of my HDTV's which don't have DVI or HDMI inputs. That means good ol HD over component.

I voted Blu-ray because that is the format I see as having the most potential technologically. I won't be buying HD-DVD this fall though until I see what the Blu-ray group offers and if it will be able to use component.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I will wait until there are affordable players that play BOTH formats (like DVD-A and SACD), if that time comes. If it doesn't, I'll stick with regular DVD.
-

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I voted to wait.

I have the patience of a praying mantis waiting to strike. I waited over 2 years to buy the Back to the Future dvd's because of the framing fiasco and I did it with a smile on my face and a spring in my step.

In addition to reasons already given to wait, their is another factor here that I haven't seen mentioned...the "gremlin" factor.

Which ever of these formats prevails in the end, we have to remember that it will be new technology and new technology tends to break down and malfunction when it is first introduced, i.e., gremlins in the machine.

This is the main reason i'm waiting as i'm sure either of the formats will be great, that's not my concern. I'm so sick of rushing into new technology only to have it lock-up, pixelate, freeze, ruin discs (in the case of the TWO dvd recorders I went through when they came out) and refuse to finalize (same).

I do not want a repeat of the Panasonic A-110 nightmare either! That thing was the dvd player equivelant of Linda Blair in The Exorcist, although I doubt even Father Merrin could have helped it. I had it fixed twice and it STILL spit pea soup at me, figuratively speaking. I would have just taken it out and given it an Office Space-style executuion with a bat, but the dammned thing probably would have just fixed itself like Christine.

No, when HD does hit on DVD, I will wait...and watch, watch the technology until I feel it has reached a point where the manufactureres have gotten it right and that it is reliable. A year? Two years? Doesn't matter, i'll be more than happy to stick with dvd in it's current form until i'm ready.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
It's seriously doubtful that there will be one winning format in this war, so I plan to wait until there's a hybrid player available. I'll probably start buying titles as soon as they become available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks