What's new

Blockbuster called me today. Very interesting comments regarding OAR v. P&S (1 Viewer)

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I still don't see many specific titles mentioned here. I'm honestly only aware of a handful of titles that are even available in P&S only versions.
Here is a list of some films that are only available in pan and scan at most Blockbusters;
  • The Grinch
  • Jurassic Park III
  • The Mummy Returns
:angry:
While it may be a handful, these are some pretty big films. Plus everyone is afraid of the "slippery slope" and trying to stop this before it gets worse.

Derrick_Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
When I go out tonight, I will do a spot check and take notes on a few P&S only titles. I don't rent many movies, I like to collect the ones I really like. But if I'm not sure about a movie, I'll rent it first. While browsing the DVD section, I have noticed where the disc is offered in both versions, I only see the P&S version. In any case, I'll report my findings back here later tonight.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks Derrick, That's really what I'm looking for, not that I couldn't do it myself.

Dave,

I appreciate the slippery slope concept. I expect BB is actually wimping out and that there really aren't that many complaints about WS movies. Maybe if every time each one of us rented a WS DVD from them we pointed out to the clerk how happy we are to be able to get OAR. Then they would hear how often people are happy to be able to get OAR which might counteract the complaints. If we sounded a little less militant and a little more like ordinary poeple expressing their preference of OAR, we might be listened to more. Right now I think too many of us just come across as extremists and end up being pretty much ignored.

Still, given the small # of titles involved, statements like the one below seem to me like yelling "FIRE" in a crowded theater.

I actually have two Blockbusters within minutes of each other and I have a hard time finding a rental in WS

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
On another board I post at, there was a thread started about the Blockbuster v. Widescreen DVD petition.
Anyway, the poster wanted eveyone to sign the petition to stop Blockbuster.
Annnnnnnd, this was a response.
Keep in mind that the poster of the response is a good guy, but perhaps a bit....well dammit he has strayed to the darkside!!!!!!
;)
Here goes:
"GOD BLESS BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO!!!!"
DIE, WIDESCREEN, DIE!!!
You have NO idea how much I HATE widescreen. Oh wow! Look, there is a character who means NOTHING! to the story that I get to see that I couldn't have seen if it wasn't for widescreen! WOO HOO!
Look! There's a walk on actor that answered a casting call for locals to fill in as extras! THANK *YOU* WIDESCREEN VIDEO!!!
Widescreen is a pox on home movie watching. My boss has a widescreen HDTV, and he STILL has the Black Bars of Total Pain in the Assitude.
I thought that the WIDESCREEN TV's would at LEAST have the image fill out their screen, but NOOOOoo!!!!
I do not want to UPGRADE from VHS to DVD so that I can't see a full screen worth of picture.
DO NOT SIGN THIS PETITION!!! WIDE SCREEN HATERS, UNITE!!!

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator
I see a pretty simple solution to the problem Blockbuster cites. I can certainly appreciate that they do not wish to confuse their customers by stocking multiple versions of a release next to each other. Here's my answer: Don't!

As has already been mentioned, there are only a handful of P&S-only releases. Why not stock the widescreen copies with the rest of the releases (since the norm is a widescreen release), then maintain another shelf clearly marked Full Screen (we all know Pan & Scan is not as recognized a term, even if it's more appropriate). This would decrease the likelihood of a customer accidentally grabbing the "black bar" version, while not alienating other customers (us!).

No company, regardless of size, likes to lose customers, and this seems like a win-win proposition.

Brian

Miles_W

Second Unit
Not that I agree with the sentiments of the previous message, but we do value free speech... I only hope that it eventually does not impede peoples ability to watch how they want to watch!... personally I see it as a precursor to HD-dvd, where regular dvd goes to featureless pan and scan(replacing dvd) and HD-DVD becomes what we see now in regular DVD... ah well I keep my figures crossed ( I really can;t afford to buy too much more equipment!)

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
WooHoo! Another WS vs. FS thread!

Seriously, could'nt this have gone into one of the other numerous WS vs. FS threads? Isn't there already a couple Blockbuster petition threads already going?

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Jim, and you couldn't even leave it alone could you? If you hate it so much then why do you look at them? Another case of "thread farting." :rolleyes

Ross Waite

Stunt Coordinator
How on Earth can we possibly win the WS vs. P&S war if we are constantly surrendering the battlefield?

The line must be drawn somewhere. Why wait until ALL of the releases are P&S? I'm not saying this is a certain eventuality, but it IS a real possibility. We must keep the pressure on.

I realize this is a bit OT from the original post...but it seems to fit the discussion.

-Ross

Happy Holidays!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks