What's new

Blockbuster 2 for $20 is running till 11/17 (1 Viewer)

Pete O

Auditioning
Just got back from Blockbuster in Mt. Pocono PA. I haven't seen anyone post the deal but they are running a 2 for 20.00 on Previously Viewed DVDs. I picked up BRINGING DOWN THE HOUSE, HEAD OF STATE, IDENTITY, A MAN APART, DOWN WITH LOVE & BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE. Only way I ever show my face into Blockbuster is for the specials. It actually is a great way to pick up the middle of the road titles that you wouldn't mind owning but don't want to spend the 16 - 20 each on. They had a truckload of titles. I was shocked to see ITALIAN JOB out there. Now if they will only put WILLARD out before the sale is over....

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I saw a flyer for this in my Sunday paper. I am not a member or a renter, but I believe I will take them up on this deal...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think this is the worst sale Blockbuster has run. The fact is, probably almost half of their used DVDs are $10 anyway. Still, I got Gangs of New York and The Pianist. If they get any copies of 28 Days Later out before the sale is over, I might pick that one up.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Picked up Chicago and Punch Drunk Love. As an added bonus the store clerk offered to trade out the Blockbuster security case for the original for Chicago and said I can request this for any future pre-viewed purchases.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
The advertised titles are just a sample right? I read it to mean that any PVT was eligible for the sale?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
any pv'ed dvd is 2 for 20
any pv'ed vhs is 2 for 10.

Pete O

Auditioning
As far as fullscreen availability to widescreen, it is always been my experience that certain Blockbuster stores carry more widescreen then full screen and vice versa. The one in Mount Pocono had mostly widescreen titles while several of the others I have visited in NY & PA vary between full screen and wide screen availability. With a 65inch HDTV, no full screen is going in my player. And as far as title availability, any previously viewed are for the taking. Like I said, ITALIAN JOB only came out three weeks ago and there were loads of copies there. As far as the sale not being as good as some of the others, most of the Blockbusters I have visited in NY & PA rarely have a Previously Viewed title for less then 14.99 so that's why I like this particular offer. It actually works out better then the BUY 2 GET 1 FREE DEAL they sometimes run because sticker price isn't taken into account. How does Blockbuster have original cases for the DVDS? To me, the security cases are no big deal. I just cant stand the stickers are on the inserts. And honestly, does anyone really care if the booklet is inside it or not? Some studios are stopping booklets. Universal didn't include one in THE HULK.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

The clerk grabbed a case from the rental shelf as the replacement. The store I went to for awhile was selling the DVDs in their original cases and using the container type security cases to hold them. I guess they started running out because there are more of the self-contained security cases now.

As a completist I like having the booklet, but if I'm buying a DVD for 10.00 I figure it's a small sacrifice. Whenever I open up the movie and see no booklet I wonder if I'm missing something. It was a big "YES" when I didn't get the booklet that came with the Royal Tennenbaums. I suppose I could have asked if they had one around.

I was hoping for the Italian Job to be on the shelves but no luck. Maybe by the end of the sale.

Galen_V

Second Unit
Does anyone know if peeling of these "Disc-Shields" off of the DVDs will actually damage the dics? Is there a way to remove them safely?

Pete O

Auditioning
I usually never find stickers on the discs. Just a sticker with a security code and catalog number on the back of the DVD cover.

Galen_V

Second Unit
I bought 2 discs and they both have these large, semi-transparent stickers on them that cover up a good part of the disc. Right below the lower part of the disc, underneath the hole, it has the Blockbuster logo and says, "Removal of the DISC-SHIELD will cause permanent damage, if this label is removed customer must pay for the cost of the disc."

http://www.audiovideosupply.com/DiscShield.htm

Adrian_S

Second Unit
Guys, the Security stickers can be safely removed using a blow dryer on low to heat the sticker and then remove them. I have done this man times.... here is an example:

BBV Sticker Removal

Hope this helps....

Adrian

Adrian_S

Second Unit
BTW.... I picked up:

Old School Unrated
Bulletproof Monk
Cradle 2 the Grave
The Recruit

... I'm going back for more at the end of the week.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Just picked up:
Bowling for Columbine
Anger Management
Pistol Opera
Dead or Alive (R version, but I haven't seen it before, if I like it I may spring for the DOA 3 pack coming later this month)

BTW: the special features side of Bowling has some nasty looking smudges on it, I quickly scanned through the extras and they appear to be Ok, should I be concerned?

Galen_V

Second Unit
I just wanted to add that I picked up A Mighty Wind and The Animatrix (which had a sticker price of 17.99). Good deal :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
I just picked up Dreamcatcher and Italian Job yesterday. Not bad. They didn't really have any others that I would have wanted and these are both fairly new releases, so for $10 I think it's a good deal.

I've purchased about 20 DVD's from BlockBuster (used) over the last year or so, and only one has had the disc sticker that some have referred to. I was told that they stopped putting those on over 1 year ago, but of course this could be regional, or it could be that the DVD's you've bought have been on their shelves for over 1 year.

As far as the cases go, I stopped into my local BB about 2 months ago and asked if I could have some replacement cases for some of the DVD's I'd purchased (they have the big red sticker on the front and the BB PLU code sticker on the back, usually). She said, "sure stop in on Tuesday" and when I went back on Tuesday, she gave me a box with about 50 in it. I changed out the cases on all the ones I'd purchased previously and have a bunch extra for future purchases. I'm also replacing all my snap cases (I think this is what they're called - it's what the Matrix came in) with these as I think they're much nicer.

I was also told that they'll probably be putting the Scarface DVD up for used sale around the 19th of November. Too bad this deal ends on the 17th.

Stew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks