What's new

Blade Runner. Wait or Buy now? (1 Viewer)

Sergio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sergio Perez-More
Hello,

This is one of my favorite movies. It is safe to buy the current edition? Still waiting for the Special Edition that never come.

Thanks in advance.

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
I'll bet that you have a few years before any kind of special edition gets released. If it ever gets released. I have it, and its a pretty good transfer for an early dvd. Go for it.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Yeah I got it for around 14 bucks Canadian two months ago. I got tired of waiting for this new SE. For such a low price, I dont mind double dipping later on.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
At the low price it currently is buy it. The SE is in legal hell from what I last read.

Believe me Im waiting for the SE myself. :frowning:

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I also wanted to say that the current release is a first generation flipper (w/s on one side p/s on second.)

It is grainy and could use a remaster but im not complaining since the SE is in the works.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
I'll get the current version if it is for sale below $10 (decent enough picture quality wise), but the one to "collect" will be the SE that has been promised quite a while back...

-THTS

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a good idea buy it now. The SE appears to be so tied up in court that it may be several years before it gets released. About a year ago I sold my version anticipating the new one, however, I think I am going to re-buy it myself.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Its a good thing I have still kept my Criterion LD. Hopefully it will hold me over until the "grail" of the DVD SE is released.

Shakespeare was right: "Kill all the lawyers"! :)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
on an fp, i found this to be just a hair above unwatchable.
smeary, and artifact ridden.
i got it from CH so i didn't have to lose much when i sold it.

Real Name
Anthony
I live in hope that we will see the SE sometime in 2004. Grimmest estimates do suggest, however, that it may be several years off.

Being as Scott has recorded a commentary, and presuming that this element is not a part of the legal dispute, I've started a petition for an interim version of BR with cleaned-up picture and sound and possibly the commentary.

You can find this petition over at the Studio Feedback Forum - please sign it. If the SE really is years away, and we get enough signatures, I think there's a chance we could sway Warners to consider this stopgap.

But we need LOTS of signatures, and so far the response has been poor. (At the very worst, it doesn't hurt to keep the pressure on about the SE, right ?):)

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Does anyone know the cause of the legal limbo? From what I remember, things were rolling along on the S.E. and then someone or something slammed on the brakes.

Cheers,

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Well, I decided to go ahead and re-buy Blade Runner. While a new transfer is definitely needed, this disc certainly doesn't look that bad on my 61" display. I was able to see more detail than I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks