What's new

Black Bars Wide Screen (1 Viewer)

LeonDES

Grip
Hi,

Watching the remastered star wars DVD. Get black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. I was under the impression that wide screen ment it would fill my 92" diagnol screen. If I zoom the image gets a bit distorted.

Is this normal?

Leon

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Leon, there are many "widescreen" formats out there. The only format that will not give you black bars is 1.78:1.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Leon,

Check the FAQ and Primer link in my signature... specifically read the article:

"If I buy a 16x9 wide screen TV, will I get rid of the black bars forever?" by Vince Maskeeper

Gabriel.H

Stunt Coordinator
Star Wars is in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio, which is wider than 16x9, so yes the black bars are normal. On a conventional "square" shaped 4:3 TV the black bars would be aprox twice as thick, so consider yourself lucky that at least with a widescreen TV the black bars from wider aspect ratios aren't as large as they would normally be.:)

LeonDES

Grip
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I was totally unaware to all that... call me a noob =P

Anyhow I had nemo and akira and they were both in 1.78:1 and looked great!!!

May I ask what the forumla is to reach that aspect ratio for my 92" diag screen ...

Also does anyone know where I can find a list of DVDS that are in that aspect ratio and what the most common ratio for rented DVDS is ?

Thanks,

Leon

John S

Senior HTF Member
Your projector should either be 16:9, or 4:3 or have the option to do both.

16:9 translates into a 1.78:1 Aspect Ratio. On most displays anything from 1.66:1 to 1.85:1 seem to fill the screen.

4:3 translates into 1.33:1

If/When ever possible you want to rent / buy movies that say Widescreen enhanced for 16:9 displays.

Movies are all over the place as far as what ratio the maker of the movie has chosen to use.

TV on DVD will always be 1.33:1

Did that help at all???? I think I lost sight of the question.

LeonDES

Grip
Thanks again,

I now have a better understanding of how it all works.

Now... I thought I saw somewhere online some screens or attachemnts to screens that are motorized masking panels that position around the screen according to the aspect ratio being used.

I do not know what they were called or where I saw them, does anyone have any advice on those or know where I can read up on them?

Thanks,

Leon

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek

Many of the newer TV shows are being filmed and released in anamorphic 1.78:1. Examples include "Enterprise", "X-Files seasons 5-9", "ER",.....

LeonDES

Grip
Thanks,

Tried to post a url but could not due to the 15 post limit.

It hink I may have foudn somthing on stewartfilms website...

Engineering & Specification Sheets
Individual Product Data 4-Way ScreenWall

Not sure if I can get just the pannels and masking system alone and attach to my 92" dalight or not, gonna look into that as I do not need a new screen entirely.

Leon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks