What's new

Bitrate and Battery Life - MP3 devices (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Rather than file size, it is battery life that concerns me the most when it comes to encoding MP3s for my 30GB Creative Zen Xtra.

Has anyone quantified the difference in power requirements between the various bitrates?

--
H

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i would think higher bitrates consume more battery life because the hard disk would need to spin up more often because file sizes are larger. apart from that, i dont think the bitrate itself has anything to do with battery life, but i could easily be wrong.

CJ

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Interesting, Christ, I hadn't thought about that. In that case, the size of the buffer becomes a factor as well.

Of course I could conduct a test myself: Encode a album twice with different bitrates, pick one, set the thing to repeat, play it all day and monitor for battery drain, rinse, repeat with the other bitrate, all things being equal of course (incuding things like battery life, which this engineer cannot ignore as it affects battery life). But who the hell wants to go thru all that? :D

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks