What's new

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
BTW, I think we'll have an interesting test of both comic book fatigue and the "misogynist boys" factor soon.

"Black Widow" comes out May 1 and "Wonder Woman 1984" follows a month later.

If those flop, let the arguments begin! :D

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
It is getting tiresome. I have seen all the Marvel and DC movies since Iron Man and bought them on Blu. “Meh” is how i’d describe this one. There is constant hand to hand combat that blurs together after a while, and often the “bad” guys don’t even seem to fight back.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I think audiences might be more selective than they used to be with comic book movies. Also the trailers were terrible for this movie, I was completely apprehensive about it until the good reviews came out.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I saw it this afternoon. I thought it was fine. Margot Robbie continues to be terrific as Harley Quinn, and Ewan McGregor chewed ALL the scenery.

Rosie Perez was probably the best live action Renee Montoya yet, but she doesn't have a lot of competition there.

The Huntress and Black Canary were a bit underdeveloped, and the girl who played Cassandra Cain was kind of flat.

All of that being said, I appreciated that the movie didn't take itself too seriously, and it moved right along. There were moments, like at the amusement park for the climax, that felt the closest we're probably ever going to get to "Batman: The Animated Series" translated into live action.

I wouldn't mind more movies in this franchise, but I'm not exactly clamoring for them, either.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I saw it this afternoon. I thought it was fine. Margot Robbie continues to be terrific as Harley Quinn, and Ewan McGregor chewed ALL the scenery.

Ha ha - that's for sure! :D

Normally Ewan's lousy American accent bugs me, but his Roman is such a cartoon that I thought it actually worked for the character.

Someone compared this to "John Wick", and I agree with that, but it's a Wick film with better character and story development.

Meaning it has a story, even if the diamond is just a MacGuffin. At least it has some form of narrative! :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
"Comic book fatigue" is too easy an explanation. People flocked to "Joker" just 4 months ago, and we've gotten no other comic book movies since then.
I said "lesser known characters". The Joker is arguably the most well known villain in comic books and to the general public. Harley Quinn is lesser known because for most people, she's only been in a forgettable movie a couple years ago. Like I said, Marvel is safe for now and the more well known DC characters (Wonder Woman and Batman) are probably good but whoever is doing that Bloodshot movie (based off of a Valiant comic) might need to be worried.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think audiences might be more selective than they used to be with comic book movies. Also the trailers were terrible for this movie, I was completely apprehensive about it until the good reviews came out.

The trailers were bad and may have kept quite a few on the fence moviegoers away. I went in spite of the trailers and the stupid title.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I haven’t seen HQ yet but imo the John Wick films are modern action masterpieces with deep characters and story development set in a wonderfully interesting “Wickiverse”. Can’t wait for Chapter 4!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I haven’t seen HQ yet but imo the John Wick films are modern action masterpieces with deep characters and story development set in a wonderfully interesting “Wickiverse”. Can’t wait for Chapter 4!

"Deep characters and story development"??? :blink::blink::blink:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I said "lesser known characters". The Joker is arguably the most well known villain in comic books and to the general public. Harley Quinn is lesser known because for most people, she's only been in a forgettable movie a couple years ago. Like I said, Marvel is safe for now and the more well known DC characters (Wonder Woman and Batman) are probably good but whoever is doing that Bloodshot movie (based off of a Valiant comic) might need to be worried.

"Joker" was also an "R"-rated movie that essentially featured none of the other expected characters - and most importantly, no Batman.

"Prey" didn't click. Like I said, if this happens to a few more movies in a row, then I think you can consider "comic book fatigue".

"Justice League" was a massive commercial disappointment even though it came on the heels of "Wonder Woman" and featured all DC's big characters - because audiences didn't think it was very good.

Not every comic book movie will be a hit, Chicken Little! :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
"Joker" was also an "R"-rated movie that essentially featured none of the other expected characters - and most importantly, no Batman.

"Prey" didn't click. Like I said, if this happens to a few more movies in a row, then I think you can consider "comic book fatigue".
Yes, a few comic book movies failing in a row is not going to happen because some franchises or characters are just stone cold hits no matter what. Like I keep saying, the ones with lesser known characters are going to start failing because a comic book movie every few months is too much for the market to handle. A movie like Bloodshot probably doesn't need to make $500 million to break even but I think that movie is in trouble and if they think that's going to be the beginning of the "Valiant Cinematic Universe", they're likely dreaming.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely 100%. And I’m talking deep. Sorry it didn’t work for you.

The 1st movie is pretty good. The 2nd is okay. The 3rd is repetitive and weak.

Wick is the only character who has any kind of development, and that essentially ends after the first.

None of them have much in terms of plot...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The 1st movie is pretty good. The 2nd is okay. The 3rd is repetitive and weak.

Wick is the only character who has any kind of development, and that essentially ends after the first.

None of them have much in terms of plot...
Disagree 100% with your opinion. All three films have extensive character development and world building. The plots are intricate and always moving the story forward. Amazing to think we’ve seen the same films. But hey....different strokes.

As to not derail this thread let’s continue this conversation in the John Wick threads

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I liked "Prey" theatrically and enjoyed it even more on BD.

It's a shame this one didn't find a big audience theatrically, as I think it's a fun flick. It comes with a ton of potential negatives but it's such a giddy romp that few of them matter...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Picked this up on iTunes for $12.99. 4K/Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos. Gonna Watch it this weekend.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Picked this up on iTunes for $12.99. 4K/Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos. Gonna Watch it this weekend.

First time seeing "Birds"? You'd not seen it when you last posted about it, but not sure if you eventually say it theatrically...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks