Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020)

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Finished it last night. It was fine.

Really disliked Ewan’s generic character and terrible American accent.

The real highlight for me was Rosie Perez. She was terrific. And Margot Robbie gave a perfectly kooky performance.

A perfectly acceptable Saturday night film.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
We don’t know when it will happen yet but when my wife and I have the same night free for disposable entertainment, this is near the top of our list for mindless stupid fun to try out. Sounds like it’ll live up to expectations :)

Reactions: Tino

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Finished it last night. It was fine.

Really disliked Ewan’s generic character and terrible American accent.
Oh, I thought McGregor was a highlight. He chewed scenery with abandon, all in the film's tone, and the bad accent felt like part of the gag.

I criticize bad US accents as much as anyone, but in this case, I suspect it was intentional, and it added to the goofy tone...

Reactions: TravisR

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
I pretty much thought it was his worst performance ever. Nothing about it worked for me.

ymmv....and obviously it did. ;)

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
It sounded like his normal American accent to me. Either way, I thought he was a ton of fun in the movie.
Yeah, it's not far off from the accent McGregor used in "Doctor Sleep", but I thought it seemed exaggerated.

Whatever the case, the accent better fit the role since it's such a campy part.

More unbelievable: that crazy accent Rosie Perez uses. C'mon - no one talks like that! :D

Reactions: TravisR

Sam Favate

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I finally saw this (on blu-ray). I didn't think it was very good. Sure, Margot Robbie remains the highlight, and she has this character's voice down, but the rest of the characters, the look of the movie (including the costumes) just weren't engaging. Most of them are just caricatures.

First of all, there's just no reason this should have been rated R. You could tone down the violence and the language and it's the same movie. Usually, an R-rated film has some level of maturity to it, but not this one. Also, the DC films have a disturbing habit of being sadistic. That's like a child's idea of what a mature movie is like. I don't know much of what DC comics have been like over the past 25 years, but in the 60s, 70s and 80s, they were often criticized for being set in a less realistic world than Marvel. It seems to me the movies are overcompensating for that.

Since the DC films aren’t as well connected as the Marvel films, this one felt random. Like they said, “we have Margot Robbie under contract, so let’s get this made.”

The movie felt slight to me; it had no weight to it at all. And it makes me think the DC film universe is flailing (and failing).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tino

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The DC film universe was flailing and failing long before this film. They do a very good job with their animated and live action TV series but just can't seem to get a handle on making a truly good movie. IMHO the last DC superhero movie worth a viewing was Batman Returns (1992). Yes, I've seen Nolan's Batman films. I do not like them.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
The DC film universe was flailing and failing long before this film. They do a very good job with their animated and live action TV series but just can't seem to get a handle on making a truly good movie. IMHO the last DC superhero movie worth a viewing was Batman Returns (1992). Yes, I've seen Nolan's Batman films. I do not like them.
You do realize your opinion is probably the minority one?

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Yes, I do. I just don't get what others see in those films. I've seen them three times and find nothing to like in any of them.
Me neither and oddly, I love every other Nolan movie. I was already sick of superheroes when those movies came out and Nolan's serious/"dark and gritty" tone just bored me. The sillier or more fun tone of Birds Of Prey was one of the things that I think the current DC movies should go for.

Sam Favate

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I don't know about that. I recently rewatched the Dark Knight films, introducing them to my kids, and we all loved them. Once DC started their shared universe films, only Wonder Woman and Shazam have been winners. Sure, Aquaman was a big hit, but seeing it again recently, I felt it suffered from the same problems as many of the other DC films - scant characterization, overdone production design, bad costumes, and middling writing. I look forward to Wonder Woman 1984, The Batman and Suicide Squad 2. Perhaps having great film makers like Patty Jenkins, Matthew Reeves and James Gunn at the helm will help. But without a unifying person (ala Kevin Feige) behind the scenes, the DC films will never be what the Marvel films are.

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
I like Nolans Batman films but are imo his weakest.
I love Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy. My 3 top Nolan flicks would be "DK", "DKR" and "Interstellar", with "BB" in 4th place.

Nolan's never made a bad movie, but the Dark Knight flicks are toppermost of the poppermost for me.

It helps that I've been a nearly lifelong Batman fan! :)

Thomas Newton

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I just don't get what others see in those films. I've seen them three times and find nothing to like in any of them.
Take Nolan's handling of the Joker. The first Burton film had a change to Batman's origin story to support a too-clever-by-half "I created you" … "No, you created me."

The second Nolan film had a Joker with non-canonical face paint. What makes it a better film is that it did not play games with Batman's origin and that it did give us an idea of how very murderous and twisted the Joker can be.

In the comics, the Joker sold a stolen nuclear missile to terrorists. He tried to murder a room full of not-too-bright UN delegates, who were drawn to his speech like moths to a flame. He dumped a wheelchair-confined henchman into a shark tank.

The Nolan film's Joker may not have had the Joker's "real" face, but he had the Joker's "real" personality. A sick, evil, personality to be sure – a toxic mixture of sanity, madness, cruelty, and dark humor. But that's who the Joker IS. We don't need to like or to approve of him to be fascinated by him.

Reactions: AshJW

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bawleralter