Bi-wire question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vlad D, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I have my main speakers bi-wired, but not my center or my surrounds. My surrounds are not bi-wireable (is that a word? [​IMG] ) but my center is. Does it matter that my mains are bi-wired and not my center? Should I also bi-wire my center? Will it make a difference in sound?
    Vlad

2. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

Couldn't hurt to bi-wire it, and not that expensive to do unless you use those $12 per foot cables.

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Agree with Ken. If you can Bi-wire it, do so. Every little bit helps.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

A lot of people (myself included) think that biwiring is a useless tweak that has absolutely no positive aspects. So I would personally say don't biwire anything. Just another opinion.

5. brucek

brucek Second Unit

I have to agree with Philip. There is just no scientific support for believing bi-wiring has any affect on the sound.

There certainly is lots of anecdotal evidence, but just because you believe, doesn't make it so.

Save your money Vlad. In fact, you'd probably be better off using your existing bi-wiring and re-installing the speaker straps that you've removed. This way both speakers will benefit from the decreased gauge of your speaker wire realized with the straps installed.

brucek

6. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Thanks guys, I think I'll leave well enough alone.

7. Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen Stunt Coordinator

I, too have my fronts and center biwired, but not the surrounds. I like to think that I can hear a difference.

8. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Sorry, lost track of this thread for awhile. Here goes:

(Not intended as a flame war)

Vlad, Bi-wire your speaker. Some people need a chart to tell them what wine to drink and why. Not everything is reducible to a graph on a sheet of paper.

The technical difference is reduction in intermodulation effects (measurable? How fine a measurement?), improvement in both Headroom & Clarity. You either HEAR a difference or you don't. I hear a difference just as my tongue and nose tells me the difference of the wine in my glass.

A chemist could analyze it till the cows come home but what is on the paper doesn't always add up to the finished product.

My $.02

9. shankar

shankar Stunt Coordinator

10. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I agree with Paul. Try it out as long as it doesn't cost you too much. If you don't hear a difference....At least you've settled the debate in your own mind. If you do....good for you. Either way you'll be happy you did it.

I bi-wired and couldn't tell the difference at all. But I'm glad I tied it.

--Steve