What's new

Bi-Amping Help (1 Viewer)

Brian O

Second Unit
Paul -

Thanks for the reply. My speakers are bi-ampable with the dual sets of posts and I had removed the jumpers when bi-amping of course.

The main speakers situation was just a temporary one until I decided how to correct the Amp shorting out situation. I was never able to detect what was causing it before, so basically I just unplugged the one speaker cable from the left main and that seemed to put a bandaid on the situation. I then put the jumpers back on that speaker and had been running the system that way recently.

Last night, I decided to un bi-amp both Mains but not the center. Also, I had to remove the splitters. The volume went up noticably on the Mains then when splitted/bi-amped.

The center in comparison, still being bi-amped, needed to be raised more so than before in volume. These sound level adjustments were done with my Radio Shack SPL analog meter.

I am still not sure if you are correct about the speaker crossover with passive bi-amping. I had understood that was THE big negative about passive bi-amping. I would be interested in more opinions on this.

Anyways, the results in sound I have noticed so far are that the low end seems to be fuller/warmer but the highs arent quite as distinct as they were before. These speakers have very distinct highs where you hear every detail, but it can shred a bad recording.

Thanks again for the advice.

ClaudeD

Grip
Brian,

I can assure you that the passive (i.e. speaker's) xover is still very much in the picture when passively bi-amping. That's why I had to open up my Tukans and 5120 to snip some xover connections when I went active. That is also the reason why there's not such an improvement when passively bi-amping; the deleterious effects of the passive xover are still in effect. The significant difference when you finally get the passive xover out of the way is a revelation.

Claude

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks