What's new

BFD + Dayton: Quick & Dirty to 22hz (1 Viewer)

DevinJC

Stunt Coordinator
BFD + Dayton

Yes, this is a cross post from AVS. But I'm sure everyone here doesn't go there, and there has been tons of talk about this over here as well, so I thought I'd share twice. :)

Anyway, got the BFD yesterday, hooked it up and went to town. After 2 hours I had the attached results, the BFD is flatter pink line obviously.

Dayton is now moving much more pant leg than it ever has, actually might be for the first time.

I calibrated it to 80db as it was after midnight and the woman was asleep. I'll probably go back and do it at 90db, as I am stunned that there is anything below 25, granted only to 22ish, and I don't really expect that to perform very well at higher SPLs.

I used 5 filters, 3 cuts at 31, 40, and 70 (roughly and differing widths and cuts) and a 3db boost at 22 and a 5db boost at 56. I'm going to revisit that 5db boost, as I think just maybe, I caught some distortion there this morning when I had 30 secs to run the Sauron sweep from FOTR. Given the things that were rattling in the room last night during the plotting, it could have been something in the room however and not the sub.

Overall I'm very happy with the BFD, with snapbug's write up it's a breeze. I think I was setting my first filter 20 mins after I got it out of the box and I had to plot the room before I did that.

I am convinced though, that if I get the Dayton flat to 22 at higher SPLs I'll be needing a new sub as I'm sure she'll crack under the strain.

Oh this is in a 10X~14 room with an open doorway, Pio 1014, all measurements done on Sub only. Sub is corner loaded about 8ft from the listening position on the front left.

There is definitely more detail now, and hopefully I'll be able to actually listen to a few things soon to follow up with that. Test Tones don't really make you go wow, and 2 minutes of Fellowship close to reference and 5 minutes of the Matrix at 80db isn't very satisfying lol. Plus the MCACC needs to be run again... I do so love that Pio Pink noise.

Hopefully, after tonight I can come back and say, "wowie wow wow wow." After I take a nap... BFD kept me up all night, but I'm sure it was worth it.

DevinJC

Stunt Coordinator
zzzzz

Looks like the Sauron sweep bottoms out right at 56hz, which is right where I thought I heard the distortion, which just happens to be where I have a 5db boost.

Yep, think I need to get rid of that.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Very good. I am at the very least going to be plotting my Dayton this Friday and hopefuly will be abel to set up a couple of filters. I will post results. Can't wait :)

RyanJE

Second Unit
Hey you guys? Did you measure your rooms response before you bought the BFD? I want to measure Mine but have no idea where to start. If its bad ill get the BFD.

DevinJC

Stunt Coordinator
I moved my setup from a living room to a more dedicated room, and noticed that the quality of my bass changed drastically. Scenes that formerly hit hard just sort of whiffed.

Then I put in Avia and ran one of the sweeps, and watched the needle jump all over the place. Moved the sub, rearranged the room completely, was still getting those wild peaks and valleys. Figured no matter what I did in the future, DIY, IB or SVS etc., I could probably benefit from the BFD.

I didn't actually plot the room until the BFD was sitting on the floor beside the sub.

As you can see, something was definitely needed... 95db at 40, 70db at 56 and then back to 90db at 65, that's just unreal.

The weird thing the valley at 56 isn't really acting like a null, since a 5db boost resulted in a more than a 5db SPL increase. Assuming I understand everything I've been reading lately anyway lol.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Sounds like it sure helped out though. Did you run the low freq sweep. Did you use c-weighting on the needle? I want to give it a go. When I run a sweep I can hear it get louder and softer with dif freq.

What do you need to plot??

DevinJC

Stunt Coordinator
http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm

For all your initial BFD needs.

After spending some time with it and plotting at 90db, I've made this horrible +/- 3db squiggle from 22hz to about 80hz.
It's house curvey from 22 until about 50, and then I run into that valley at 56 which is driving me crazy

And I'm now up to 12 filters, which means I've become as much of the problem as the room was. Hopefully I'll get a chance to fine tune some more soon. Still, significantly better than I started with.

Hmm after relooking at my initial plot, I think I may need to go back to those original filters.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
I had an hour to play with the BFD and my Dayton this morning so I canceled the four filters I had programmed previously and played with just one filter. I experimented with freq., fine tuning, bandwith and gain.
I have given up 2db below 30hz but my curve has flattened out even more. I'll be gone for the weekend but I'll make some minor adjustments when I get back. I'm really starting to get the hang of the BFD. It's actually becoming enjoyable.

David

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Gonna dig into mine tomorrow after I go to Ratshack and pick up some adapters for the RCA connects.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks