What's new

Better subwoofer? Energy XL-S8 XL S8 100 watt or Onkyo HTS-650 HTiB sub (150 watt)?? (1 Viewer)

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently using a subwoofer from an Onkyo HTS-650 home theater system. It is an 8-inch, 150 watt sub.

Would a Energy XL-S8 XL S8 100 watt be an improvement over my current Onkyo? And if so, how much?

My room dimensions are 20 feet x 20 feet. The room is a square, with 4 complete walls.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Neither is going to generate serious bass in a room that size, and without any hard specs on the 650's sub, they sound like they'd be quite similar. Not knowing specifics, I'd probably give the edge to the Energy, but not by much.

Have you looked at any other subs such as the Dayton 10" that will likely outperform the Energy, at a cost of $125?

A square room can be tough to get good bass response in, to complicate matters.

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
And to make things even worse, I think my Onkyo receiver still has the LFE bug I sent in to get fixed 1.5 years ago :angry:

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
Why do you think you have the LFE bug? If I remember, the problem was pretty well defined and fixed for all those who sent their receivers back.

As far as the sub goes, I can't comment on the energy. I have owned the Onkyo and it was a nice little sub. I would keep the Onkyo until you have enough money for an SVS or HSU.

BTW, I didn't like the speakers from the HTS-650, but the receiver and sub alone made the package worth it!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
You're probably referring to my sub, so I'll try not to be to biased, but it was a good sub for the few years that I owned it. In college I was on a limited budget, and it provided much better bass than I had heard in standard HTB setups. Now that I'm working and living in a bigger place, I'm looking to go bigger, but if you don't buy this sub, I'll still probably keep it around for my stereo setup. It's pretty solid.

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah Matt, I think I am just going to wait until I save up enough cash to get a really nice sub. I just don't see the Energy being a significant upgrade over my Onkyo. Thanks anyways :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks