What's new

Best XBOX/PS2 settings for Sony Wega 36HS20? (1 Viewer)

Dave Marx

Stunt Coordinator
This is the new set I am buying this week, and I will mainly play vid games on it. It IS progressive scan, but is not a true 16:9. It is a 4:3 display, but will display 16:9 in letterbox format.

What are the best settings to use on this tv for PS2 or X-BOX? I plan to connect the X-BOX to the HD-component inputs, but will this elongate the screen and look like junk? Will it automatically be put to letterbox? What about the progressive scan setting? Forgive me for crossposting and for my ignorance...I am new to all this.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I'm not sure what you mean by "not true 16:9". I'm admittedly not familiar with the 36HS20 specifically, but I have a VVega KV-36FS12, and its 16x9 mode does provide the additional 33% resolution that such a feature should offer. The set's physical dimensions obviously remain at 4x3, but whenever I have the option, I opt for a 16x9 mode.

Set your XBox in the menu to output to 16x9, and each game that supports 16x9 will automatically display in that mode. I'm not sure if your television automatically recognizes 16x9 material and adjusts itself accordingly. With my set, I do have to manually sift through the menu and change to 16x9 mode. It's not a big deal, though, only requiring a couple of seconds and recognizing if a particular title should indeed be viewed at 16x9. The XBox also has a mode in the menu to determine if it should display using 480p. My set doesn't support progressive scan, so I can't provide any detailed information on that front, but I'd imagine it would function in much the same way.

Dave Marx

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Adam. By "true 16:9", I meant that my tv comes in the old 4:3 dimension, but yes...u can make it 16:9, but there will be the black bars at the top and bottom of the picture. The tv is not a 16:9, classic HDTV set...rectangular, etc.

I will test out your settings when I get the TV. If you put a game on 480p, that doesn't necessarily mean it will be in 16:9 mode, right? Later...

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Right, that's very similar to the VVega I have, though yours has HD support and mine doesn't support anything higher than 480i.

Correct, 480p does not necessarily mean that the game will be in 16x9.

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
I have the same nonHDTV Wega model. How do I know which games support widescreen. I didn't even know you can do the squeeze on xbox games.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks