What's new

Best Universal Remote?... I'm a newbie... (1 Viewer)

Noah Neiman

Auditioning
Hi there.

Well, I'm only a college student, so I didn't go all out and get myself a $20,000 system like I would have liked to, but what I do have is a Sony HT1300D system (that's the reciever, DVD player and 5 speakers with a 12" sub). I've got a 32" panasonic tube and also a panasonic VCR.

At any rate, I was wondering if anyone could help me out and give me a few pointers on which is the best universal remote. I want to get something with an LCD. I've been looking at the sony RM-AV3000. I know I din't have enough components to fill it up and it might be a little bit of a waste, but I plan on getting other things later on. Plus, I just want something that looks extremely cool and will "wow" anyone who comes over to watch movies.

Thanks a lot guys... Noah

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
Correction Tony - The BEST would be the Marantz 9200. Quite a few additional features over the PRO. Of course the real best would probably be a Crestron product. ;)
Noah: Tony's right about a 2000 being a better alternative to the Sony 3000. Refurbs with a full year warantee are available for a decent price.
Jim L

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
If you like touchscreen, then the pronto.
If you like hard buttons, then the home theater master mx-500. (it's cheaper too)

Noah Neiman

Auditioning
So none of you would suggest getting that Sony RM-AV3000? I mean, it just looks SOOO cool! And probably does everything I want it to. In addition to the fact that practically my whole setup is Sony...

No one reccomends getting it?

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
You will learn here that mixing and matching is OK here. In fact, it's encouraged. Sure, you're whole set up may look cool, but are you willing to sacrifice performance and quality just so all your stuff can say S-O-N-Y on it?

Sure the sony should do everything you need it to but maybe the ease of use isn't good or the structure/format of the remote isn't as good as others mentioned. I would have to agree with others here that have mentioned the Pronto for touchscreem and HTM MX-500 for hard button.

chad k

Stunt Coordinator
noah i own the older model sony (same size) i have owned it now for about 2 years. The remote is o.k the macros are nice but i dont like the size of it. it is so big its hard to handle with one hand and i have good size hands, it is so heavy and wide it doesnt have good balance, the touch screen is nice but they are set buttons unlike the pronto that can actually make its own button configuration, it also eats batteries and touch screen get so dirty. the unit is o.k but i want a pronto.

Noah Neiman

Auditioning
The pronto is so much more expensive though, and the MX-500, which looks pretty cool itself and has a nice shape and nice screen, is a tad on the "looks-like-a-zenith-factory-remote."

I know looks aren't everything, and I'm rarely one to enforce form over function, but I definitely DO want something that looks relatively nice, you know? I love the blue screen of the Sony, and the size is actually not a problem with me. I've gone to best buy and checked it out. To be honest, I like the relatively larger size of it. It gives it a sort of "I'm-not-really-a-remote" feeling. Are there any other ones that have blue LCDs? Not necesarily a touchscreen, but a screen nonetheless?

Noah Neiman

Auditioning
BTW, I can't seem to find anyone who's talked about it, but do any of you guys know if the Sony's LCD buttons can be renamed? (I'm kinda leaning toward it)

I took a look at some others, and they all seem to have the same advantages and disadvantages as the sony. And I mean, if they're all mostly the same thing, I should probably go with the one I like the most right? LOL

There's one called the uCommand 616 from Crisp Solutions (I think that's what it's called). But everyone's saying it has a REALLY short battery life. Is that really true, or are these guys watching movies and TV like 24 hours a day? I watch a movie something like once a week, and I'm no couch commando or anything... This one's got a lot of the same form features as the Sony, and it's a lot slimmer. It's also the same price...

Any thoughts on that one?

Corey_ Williams

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased the Sony 3000. It would not learn the functions for my cd player, and it reversed some of the functions on my amp. I took it back for the Phillips pronto neo 500. The two retail for the same price($150-$199). Yet, the pronto gives you more freedom...control labeling & more button to customize your components. In addition, the pronto is flawless, when it comes to learning other remote's functions.

Notwithstanding the previous, the Sony looks better.
:wink:

chad k

Stunt Coordinator
the buttons on my sony cannot be renamed, some of the buttons have 2 or 3 names it can use but you cant name them what you want. HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks