What's new

Best TV in 55-65" range? (1 Viewer)

Believe it or not, my wife said the other day that she would like me to look at getting a big screen tv for the family room! Since then, I've been asking: "Who is this person, and what have they done with my real wife?" Since I should strike while the iron is hot, I'm putting together my criteria list, and I could use some help from all you experts out there.

OK, here are the specs:

one
  1. 55-65" rear projection
  2. Most viewing will be of cable/satellite feeds
  3. 5-10% DVD viewing
  4. will be hooked up to good surround system
  5. no progressive scan DVD player, but willing to buy one if it makes sense with the tv chosen
  6. widescreen (HDTV) or 4:3 format undecided[/list=1]

Can anyone give me the pros and cons of various available TVs, and/or their recommendation for 16:9 vs 4:3? At this point, let's assume price is no object. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Chris

David John

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Mitsu 65807 (65") 16x9 and I love it.

It is BIG, and the picture is excellent on DVDs.

I don't have a progressive scan yet, but the TV does an excellent job with line doubling.

I also have digi-cable, so for regular TV viewing, it is also great.

I bounce between the 4x3 mode, and the expand mode, which zooms in, but crops the top and bottom a little.

Depends on what I am watching. The picture from the analog channels is decent even when this big, and with the digital channels, the picture is beautiful.

I definately suggest using AVIA or another calibration disc, and if you really feel the need, get it calibrated by an ISF tech. I have yet to do this, but may some day soon.

I wasn't sure i'd be happy with 16x9, but I am so glad I got this TV.

I won't recommend a specific brand, but I will say I am very happy with mine. It was a great value for the size and quality.

Also it can be taken apart to be brought in through a small area. The top and bottom halves can be separated.

GarryW

Stunt Coordinator
If price is no object, then go with te Pioneer Elite. Suggested retail prices are:

53" - $4500

58" - $5500

64" - $6500

These are their top-of-the-line sets, and look fantastic on the signal feeds your talikg about. They also ofer an SD series which is less $$$. Also look at Mits, Toshiba, and some of the new Sony HDTV ready sets.

HD ready is the only way to go now, as progamming availbilty is much beter now than even 1 year ago.

Don't let anyone else tell you differently. A PROPERLY calibrated Pioneer Elite will have the best performance out of any tv under $10,000. And the best build quality also.

Fred DeGrandis

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Mitsubishi 55907
I have this set and I love it.
Whichever set you pick up you should pick up a progressive scan dvd player.
When I watch movies on my friends RPTV, I want to be sick(IMHO).
Many have said that a properly calibrated Mits(which can have the hell tweaked out of them) will outgun an Elite.
I didnt do the test, so I cant comment, but the people who did do the test compared a calibrated Elite with a Calibrated Diamond.
You could get the Mits, and an ISF full blown calibration for less than an Elite out of the box.
Many people love their Elites, and both are great sets.
do a little research on the tweakability of the mits in this forum under the mits tweaks index.
Thats what sold me on my TV.
Good Luck and let us know what set you choose.
Douglas, I live in Rocky River, only 1 city over. Kinda freaky huh
;)

Kishu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kishore
With I2C fix for Mits-they are the best tweakable set available today. THE only Con-their line doubler sux-you need to buy an iscan pro to watch decent NTSC viewing on a Mits set-add additional $650 to set and you will find that it might be better to get Sony XBR2 for similar price or Toshiba HX for atleast 30% lesser compared to Mits Diamond series (which look awesome btw)
For HD/DVD Mits is a no brainer. If their latest models carry a better line doubler I will not hesitate to buy a Mits :)
Cheers,
Kishore

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks