What's new

Best Sub for Around $300- (1 Viewer)

Valerie Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking about getting a JBL PB12, to go with some JBL Northridge series speakers I purchased.

Just curious if this is a good sub for $300 (give or take).

Also, is there a big difference in sound between 10 and
12 inch subs? Was considering the PB10, but for an extra $60, I can go with the PB12.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The best you can do around $300 is DIY. But if you don't have the tools and basic wood working skills required to build the enclosure, it isn't an option. If it is, say so and I'll elaborate.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
DIY is the best route to give the most bang for your buck. If that's not an option you can pick up an Infinity IL100s from ubid for around or under $300 shipped. It will be much better than the JBL and it also has a built in one band parametric eq(RABOS), but you have to buy the kit to use it. It's $60 dollars and worth it if you don't want to get a BFD.

Valerie Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I should have asked this question before...

What's a BFD? I've come across this in other threads and couldn't figure it out. Some sort of equalizer?!

As far as DIY, I would probably pass on that for now. I am not looking for something "bone-crushing", as I live in a condo and have to be considerate and all.

I do have a Klipsch KSW-10 that is used with a Denon/Mission
mini-system. I really have no complaints about it. If a JBL PB12 or a Infinity IL100 sounded comparable, I would most likely be happy.

Thanks you all for the input.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
BFD stands for Behringer Feedback Destroyer. It's a pro audio piece that is used to prevent feedback in microphones. But the neat thing is it's also a rather good quality digital parametric EQ, and it's cheap (~$130). So a lot of people buy them to EQ out room mode problem with their subs.

DIY doesn't just give you bone crushing bass on a budget. It also allows you to not make the sound quality compromises that keep costs down for the $300 price point retail subs (under porting, tuning too high, flimsy enclosure construction, high Q sealed allignments, large amounts of boost and limiters, etc). The DIY will sound significantly better as well as go significantly louder (how much depends on components used and allignment choosen).

However, another option if you don't want to build and can stretch the budget to $400 would be the Adire Audio Rava. Great little sealed 12" sub.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
BFD could also stand for "Big F'ing Dish" if you're in the satellite forums and someone is talking about one of those big 8' dishes.

Aaron

Vin

Supporting Actor
I do have a Klipsch KSW-10 that is used with a Denon/Mission
mini-system. I really have no complaints about it. If a JBL PB12 or a Infinity IL100 sounded comparable, I would most likely be happy.
I'm not familiar with the Infinity but I've heard the Klipsch KSW-10 and the JBL PB12, as well as the PB10.....no comparison IMO, the JBL (even the PB10) will be a considerable upgrade.

Good luck whatever you decide,
Vin

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I previously owned a KSW-12 and when I switched it to an IL100s I noticed that the Klipsch was quite a boomy sub. I was able to go lower, louder, and have more articulate bass with the Infinity. My in room response was flat pretty flat with the exception of a pretty large hump around 45hz. After doing the RABOS measurements and putting it into the Infinity website, it told me how many clicks turn each knob and I had an even better sounding sub.

I've only heard the PB-12 in Best Buy but I'd be willing to bet the IL100S would sound better to me. If you can stretch the budget to the $400 mark, you could also get the IL120S(I've also heard nothing but great things about the RAVA). It has a 12" driver, more enclosure volume, double the amplifier power of the IL100S, and includes RABOS as well. I have owned this sub as well and is well worth the extra money and one of the best deals I've found(at ubid.com pricing).

My Circuit City near me has the IL100S in the show room so you could probably take a listen if you have one near you.

Jonathan K

Stunt Coordinator
Uh, Adire Rava if you can find one for that price... or how about waiting for that new 10" Rocket sub for that price?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Only the Rava SE has a parametric EQ band built into the amp. And it's a lot more than $300.

If you want to EQ a sub I'd recommend 1/12 octave test tones and a good seperate parametric EQ. The Behringer 1124P can be purchased for ~$130 and has 24 parametric EQ bands (you can even save different profiles and switch between them on the fly). Also remember taming peaks is a good thing, but raising nulls is just feeding power into a bottomless pit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks