What's new

Best sub around $300 (1 Viewer)

Brian Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I'm setting up my first HT system and want to get the best sub I can for around $300 shipped. I've been thinking about Sony SA-WM40, JBL PB-12, AudioSource SW-15, Velodyne CT-100 so far.

I will probably be using the system for 70% HT and 60% music.

My setup: Onkyo TX-SR600, 2 Infinity SM-100 (old!) fronts, and BIC center and rears.

I don't think my ear is good enough yet to really test all the speakers and decide on my own, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
Brian,

If I were you I would save a little more money and get an SVS or HSU. This way you won't have to upgrade again for a while if ever.

Shayne Judge

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome to the forum Brian!

Are you good with tools, specifically a router, soldering iron, and woodworking? If so, for $300, the absolute best value would be a DIY project, especially a sonosub, which could easily be had at your price range, and amaze you with the sound.

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Brian...

I won't ever speak on components that I haven't heard, more people should try it. I use the AudioSource in my bedroom system. I filled mine with fiberfill and it rocks. The bommy-ness went away, and it does it's job real well. I tried in in my main listening and it held it's own. I use a Velodyne HGS-18 and a Velodyne VA-1012 II n my main room. I haven't heard the CT series. Good luck!!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Shayne is definately correct. Nothing can touch DIY at the $300 price point.
As an example here is what just a little over $300USD built (including amp, all construction materials, shipping/brokerage to Canada and taxes).
one.jpg

I'd put it up against a SVS 20-39PCi any day.

Brian Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, thanks everyone for the quick responses! I saw Dustin_B's site about his DIY sub. Are there other plans out there as well? I'm OK with woodworking and soldering; not great. I don't know if I have the patience to wait with no sub for as long as it would take to build one. Maybe I'll buy a budget sub short term, and then build something next winter when I'm trapped indoors and seel the cheap one.
I will look into all the recommendations. Thanks again!!!
BTW, what is the best place to get good cables for my sub, center, and front speakers? Is 14g Monster good enough for fronts and center? How about for the sub?
PS: I meant to say 70% HT and 30% music in my original post. :)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to put it up against an SVS, problem is finding someone local who is willing to do the comparison.
Brian, I'd save my money and just go with some Sound King 12 guage off Parts Express. $23 for 50', $36 for 100'
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=2792&DID=7
There are loads of different designs out there. If enclosure size isn't an issue for around $400USD you could build a sub I'd put up against an SVS Ultra any time. Here's a link that links to a bunch of different projects.
http://members.tripod.com/~terrycthe...um/page12.html
If I had the opertunity I'd do this project in a heart beat.
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/kraushome/IB.html
There is pretty much nothing commercially that could come even remotely close to what and infinite baffel sounds like (and no sub has as high of a SAF as an IB either), and even with only 120W at 4ohm to each driver it would be able to match the output of a pair of SVS ultras.
PS, I built two of the sub pictured above. One for my parents one for my roommate. I have a much larger Tempest based design. The Tempest was my first attempt and took about a week to build (two full days, the rest was just a couple hours in the evening). The one pictured above, being my second go at building a sub only took 2 days to build.

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks