What's new

Best receiver for under $3,000 Denon 5803? (1 Viewer)

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
It seems I have been mulling over a system upgrade for some time now and am finally ready to make my purchase. I am looking to add another receiver to my system and put my 3802 to power my living room and outdoor speakers. What is the best receiver for under $3,000? I have been able to find the 5803 for under the $3,000 range and not sure if it is the best choice. It will be powering Definitive Tech 2002, BPX2 rears, and 2002 CL center.

One last question, if I went to adding an amp to the 3802 would I lose the quality of the amp using the 3802 as a main receiver? I would think even the best amps added on would lose some of their quality being filtered through the 3802. Thanks for the advice.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You're putting way too much emphasis on sonic attributes that are, in truth, illusory; speakers and room acoustics are the primary determinants of sound quality.

As for the 5803, assuming it's a brand-new unit in a still-sealed, factory-fresh carton, you'd be passing up on a stupendous deal. Additionally, many reviewers and users consider the 5803 the current state of the art in A/V receivers.

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jack. I wish I had more responses to go on as well but i take your word that it is one of the top notch receivers on the market. I am surprised other models were not a popular match against the 5803 such as the flagship HK, Marantz, and possibly Yamaha. Intresting....

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
in truth, illusory
:rolleyes

Given that the 5805 is coming, I bet there will be quite a few 5803A owners willing to sell their current receiver for a song. If you can wait and can live without the features it will be lacking when the 5805 comes out, then you can take advantage of someone elses' upgraditis so it might be patient to wait a few months. Now if buying a used one is a problem, then the deal you have been quote sounds pretty stellar.

Yogi

Screenwriter
B&K 507 is the king of flagships IMHO. May not be feature laden but when it comes to basic sound and performance its tough to beat.

My 2 cents.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If you wanted to spend under $2k, then the NAD T773 would stand toe to toe with any of the flagships. If you wanted to spend more(or could), then the Denon is Hard to beat IMHO if you wanted a receiver(lots would suggest seperates).

what will the 5805 have that the 5803 doesnt?
It is supposed to go up a $1k. They are adding 10 amp channels total with 16 that it will operate. HDMI/DVI switching has been rumored(probably true). The receiver now weighs 90 lbs. Right now there is not any specific details(more to come during September 2004's Cedia).

As you can see from the last few posts, it will be a matter of personal decision on what you want. 5 people in one room could have 5 different tastes and interpretations on how a product sounds. Just decide on what you want and can afford and do some listening.

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
I don't really totally agree with jack either, but I think there is something to what he is saying. IMO, you don't you have to spend that much, I say get the HK AVR8000 for a lot less $$ and i would bet it would sound just as good. use the $$ you saved towards DVD's, CD's or speaker upgrades.

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
IMHO The B&K 507 destroys anything from the Denon line. I might want to go with a 9400 Marantz or the NAD for that price, but this is just me. I never cared for the 5803 sound, but it does have a ton of great features, but just didn't do it for me on the reciever (sound) end. I'm not sure what reviewers say about the 5803, but being the "current state of the art in A/V receivers" is not true. There are way to many great recievers to be in that leauge and Denon is not there. Don't get me wrong, it's a good reciever, but it's not the best in it's price class for sound. At least that's what I have seen/heard.

Cheers
Mike

Chip E

Screenwriter
I've had both the Denon 5803 and B&K 307. Both excellent receivers. Sound is subjective. I liked the B&K more. You could probably get a B&K 507, street, for like $1700.00. Killer deal on an UltraII,high current-non current limiting receiver. It's just like seperates all in one box ( i have seperates now ) Just my 2 cents.. Have fun auditioning-looking.. thats whats important.

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
I agree with Chip, I also liked the B&K better for sound, it also does a better job with zone 2 areas or at least better then the 5803 did. I'm just a B&K fan because of the sound reproduction, and better quality amp. Again don't count out the Denon, but for my money Id much rather go with some others out on the market.

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator
non current limiting receiver. It's just like seperates all in one box
.......................end quote..................

I sell both the denon and b&k , and the b&k wins hands-down in the sound quality dept.......if you need a better video section (some people here seem to buy rcvrs based on video performance as well) then buy a video processor , there are many good ones to choose from........

Chip E

Screenwriter
B&K doesn't authorize online sales. Hit your local Tweeter if you have one. Like i said above, you could probably get a 507 for $1700.00 street. BTW, i use the component video switching in my Ref50 (same as the 507). It's works perfectly.

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator
you could probably get a 507 for $1700.00 street

that's a nice street considering I've never sold one for less than $2700...............

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks