What's new

Best receiver for music ? (1 Viewer)

Alfonso

Agent
Wich of these should i be looking for if i'm more like 80 music/20 HT ?

Yamaha rx-v620rds

Onkyo tx-ds595

Denon avr-1802

Marantz 5200

Ariel

Stunt Coordinator
i have heard the yamaha, onkyo & denon models you listed and they are all good for music listening. however, if you can listen to harman kardon receivers, they are better performer in my opinion although there are many negative feedbacks about reliability.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
My take on the 4 models you listed.

Skip the Denon because of the drop out problem with some DVDs.

Skip the Onkyo, its highs are a bit muted.

Skip the Marantz because it is likely to be underpowered for HT use.

Many people say that Yamahas are on the bright side.

If you like a warm sound the Onkyo will give you that. If you like a crisp sound the Yamaha should give you that.

My recommendation. Save up a little more for a Denon 2802.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i didnt find any problem with avr1802 with dvd.

arthur, please explain to me what the problem is. i am afraid the problem exists without me knowing! i feel silly.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 5200 will easily give ME the best performance for music, which is why I went with the 6200 - same features, more power. The 5200 is probably not underpowered, but might be on the edge depending on the speakers being driven. I think Marantz' reputation for "warm" stems from the rich bass and clean highs. The 5200, 6200, and 7200 (probably the 4200 also) do have the audio drop out when using digital signal issue also, but I am happy with mine because music sounds so damn good.

I listened to as many receivers as I could (including home systems), and settled on Marantz because they consistently provided the best sound for music. What will provide YOU with the sound you are looking for may be different.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
most people say that Marantz receivers are amazing for 2-channel music. i've never done side-by-side comparisons to other receivers, but the 5200 i listened to was awesome!

AbelM

Second Unit
I am with John on this. The Marantz seems to be really nice for 2 channel music. However, I do LOVE Yammy's as well, so IMO, it wouldn't be a toss-up for those 2.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
If music is a priority look at the NAD receivers. The 751 (I think that's the model number) lists for more than the receivers on your list, but it can be had for around $500. It doesn't have all the whistles and bells of the Japanese receivers, but it sounds a lot better.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Felix,
You shouldn't feel silly - nor should anyone else who owns this unit. I speak as a Denon 1802 owner as well, and can say that I have never experienced a dropout on any of my DVD purchases or rentals so far. If you haven't experienced the problem, then it probably isn't there. The problem is that sometimes when people come to this forum with problems with THEIR unit, then it catches like wildfire that they are all somehow defective with this problem. I have a co-worker who has an 1802 as well, and he has experienced no drop-out problems on any media whatsoever. If this problem pertains to particular DVD films, then I probably haven't seen those film syet, or the problem simply may not exist. The person who first posted the drop-out problem may've had a faulty unit...it's often that simple. BTW, I do recommend the 1802 for music (though not necessarily over the others mentioned here, which are great as well), as it has a nice 2 channel virtual mode which sounds outstanding, not to mention adjustable DPL2 and 5 channel stereo. Hope this helps.
Reg
;)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
In the recent Sound&Vision test theMarantz 7200 managed only 27 watts per channel with 5 channels driven.

The Denon 1802 is one of a number of receivers that cannot decode the DD 5.1 soundtracks of Pearl Harbor and Jurassic Park 3 without audio dropouts.

Some Onkyo models suffer from this as well. Never the less, Onkyo delivers a smooth slightly warm sound for stereo.

The Denon 1802 has been clearly identified as one of the receivers having problems with the above mentioned DD soundtracks.

I've heard no mention of Yamaha having this problem, but Yamaha doesn't get much attention on this forum.

My conclusion: for stereo Onkyo will give you a warmer sound.

Yamaha more likely to give you a brighter sound.

Denon I would chalk up closer to Yamaha.

All in my humble opinion of course.

I would still hold for a Denon 2802.

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
Arthur, why the 2802 over the 1802? I was thinking about getting the 1802 since there are no features on the 2802 that were not on the 1802 that I felt I needed. Is there something deficient on the 1802 that may not be obvious? If it is really worth it I would shell out the extra $ for the 2802. Thanks.

Regards, Nick

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
After checking the Denon site, the 1802 may meet your needs. We still don't seem to know if the 2802 has the audio drop outs on Pearl Harbor and Jurasic Park 3 that the 1802 definitely has a problem with. I guess I would just be hesitant to buy an 1802 right now. When it becomes clear which receivers have this compatibility problem and which ones don't I'd be willing to pull the trigger. I have not read all the posts in the threads dealing with the audio drop-outs. If you read those it might make things clearer for you.

As to the 2802, if you think you will be able to use the extra rear surround speaker in the forseeable future you will be ready. Also has a few other features I think. Adjustable crossovers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks