What's new

Best price for NAD T762 ? (1 Viewer)

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
I was quoted 999 + shipping over the phone from an out of state dealer (I'm in NYC). Sounds like a good deal to me, and although the 763 is coming (with a higher MSRP than the 762), I can "settle" for the "older" 762. So is it worth it for 999 or should I hold out for a better deal? I may take the plunge this week:D

Bob Friend

Stunt Coordinator
I found a dealer in Providence, RI. Selling it brand new for 778.00. I suspect it's because the 763 is coming out soon. Perhaps you can get a similar deal if you hunt around a bit.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
$999 was only a bit lower than it's selling price (not MSRP), so I would not say that is good. When I was looking at it, I got a quote for just a little more than that, and the 763 had not been announced yet.

Note also that this receiver has the well known audio signal "lock-on" issue with digital connectiions, where the first 1/2 second of audio may be lost. I wouldn't exactly call it a deal breaker for me, but I did go with another, more expensive, receiver because I found it not to have this problem.

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
John: Yes, I read about the drop-off issue (on this very site), and I don't believe it'll be a problem, but correct me if I'm wrong -- I'll be using standard RCA connectors between my CD player and the receiver, similar to the connection I have now to my Sony stereo receiver. Am I correct in assuming that that's analog as opposed to digital?

And regarding the price, I'm shopping around for a better deal and may wait to buy with a speaker package.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, analog does not have this problem. If you have a decent player, then it's DACs may be as good as the NAD's, but I have to say it is going to take a pretty good player to best the NAD's DACs.

The next question is, does the 763 have the same problem??

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
OK, based on other posts in this thread I did some checking and was quoted a price of 777 + shipping on an NAD T762. Called today to place the order, and after the sales person had a chance to "research" it, I was told that the 777 applied to the 752, and that the 762 had to be ordered (they did tell me that yesterday) and would cost over $1100! The salesman told me this was a "good price". Needless to say, I passed. I was quoted 999 from 2 separate sources last week and received a similar price from another vendor yesterday. One person told me that the 762 is fairly popular and sells quickly. I would imagine this is true, esp. now with the 763, 753, etc. coming in the next month or two. I contacted vendors in NYC (where I am), Chicago, California, Rhode Island and New Jersey for these prices. I just ordered it from a NJ online retailer, 995 shipped. I should have it no later than Thursday. Can't wait!

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator
I bought an NAD 742 from Saturday Audio Exchange (http://www.saturdayaudio.com). Andy, there, was pretty efficient, and offered me a great price on an NAD 742 / 572 DVD Changer combo (both for $900). He had great prices on the 752 and 762, as well. I haven't had any problems to speak of, so I can't really comment on their service after the sale, but they are an authorized NAD distributor.

As far as the "drop-out" issue goes, I have a 572 DVD changer hooked up to my 742 with a digital optical cable and it has not been a problem. At least with my unit, it doesn't seem to occur between CD tracks, and I haven't even noticed the second of sound I might miss at the beginning title sequence of a movie. You'll notice it if you change modes in the middle of a movie, but if you stopped to take time to change modes in the middle of a movie in the first place, your attention is already elsewhere while you're doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks