Best price for NAD T762 ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JerryMa, Sep 22, 2003.

1. JerryMa

JerryMa Stunt Coordinator

I was quoted 999 + shipping over the phone from an out of state dealer (I'm in NYC). Sounds like a good deal to me, and although the 763 is coming (with a higher MSRP than the 762), I can "settle" for the "older" 762. So is it worth it for 999 or should I hold out for a better deal? I may take the plunge this week[​IMG]

2. Bob Friend

Bob Friend Stunt Coordinator

I found a dealer in Providence, RI. Selling it brand new for 778.00. I suspect it's because the 763 is coming out soon. Perhaps you can get a similar deal if you hunt around a bit.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    $999 was only a bit lower than it's selling price (not MSRP), so I would not say that is good. When I was looking at it, I got a quote for just a little more than that, and the 763 had not been announced yet.

Note also that this receiver has the well known audio signal "lock-on" issue with digital connectiions, where the first 1/2 second of audio may be lost. I wouldn't exactly call it a deal breaker for me, but I did go with another, more expensive, receiver because I found it not to have this problem.

4. JerryMa

John: Yes, I read about the drop-off issue (on this very site), and I don't believe it'll be a problem, but correct me if I'm wrong -- I'll be using standard RCA connectors between my CD player and the receiver, similar to the connection I have now to my Sony stereo receiver. Am I correct in assuming that that's analog as opposed to digital?

And regarding the price, I'm shopping around for a better deal and may wait to buy with a speaker package.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, analog does not have this problem. If you have a decent player, then it's DACs may be as good as the NAD's, but I have to say it is going to take a pretty good player to best the NAD's DACs.

The next question is, does the 763 have the same problem??

6. JerryMa

OK, based on other posts in this thread I did some checking and was quoted a price of 777 + shipping on an NAD T762. Called today to place the order, and after the sales person had a chance to "research" it, I was told that the 777 applied to the 752, and that the 762 had to be ordered (they did tell me that yesterday) and would cost over $1100! The salesman told me this was a "good price". Needless to say, I passed. I was quoted 999 from 2 separate sources last week and received a similar price from another vendor yesterday. One person told me that the 762 is fairly popular and sells quickly. I would imagine this is true, esp. now with the 763, 753, etc. coming in the next month or two. I contacted vendors in NYC (where I am), Chicago, California, Rhode Island and New Jersey for these prices. I just ordered it from a NJ online retailer, 995 shipped. I should have it no later than Thursday. Can't wait!

7. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

I bought an NAD 742 from Saturday Audio Exchange (http://www.saturdayaudio.com). Andy, there, was pretty efficient, and offered me a great price on an NAD 742 / 572 DVD Changer combo (both for $900). He had great prices on the 752 and 762, as well. I haven't had any problems to speak of, so I can't really comment on their service after the sale, but they are an authorized NAD distributor.

As far as the "drop-out" issue goes, I have a 572 DVD changer hooked up to my 742 with a digital optical cable and it has not been a problem. At least with my unit, it doesn't seem to occur between CD tracks, and I haven't even noticed the second of sound I might miss at the beginning title sequence of a movie. You'll notice it if you change modes in the middle of a movie, but if you stopped to take time to change modes in the middle of a movie in the first place, your attention is already elsewhere while you're doing it.