What's new

Best Powerhouse Receiver Under 2-grand? (1 Viewer)

MichaelS

Auditioning
I'm toying around with the idea of moving my Sony STR-DA777ES (the best HT receiver Sony ever made) to another room.

There are many new receivers out there and I have not kept up with what Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, etc. have out there.

Which receivers have everything you could want plus the best amp sections? I have been spoiled by this Sony and it's hefty torodial (sp?) power supply.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I'll second the HK AVR 8000. Logic 7 applied to 5.1/6.1/7.1 is an excellent feature. The only down side is that you have to add an external amp for 6.1/7.1 surround. The 8000 only has 5 amp channels built in. It Can be found for about $1600 online. Honorable mention would go to Marantz SR9200. Accessories for Less has it refurbished for $1799(normally in the $2500 range). They are an authorized Marantz Internet dealer(Hifi.com is the only other one i believe). The Onkyo 989 can be had for around $2K. Onkyo has released many upgrades for this receiver. It is nice to see them stand behind their product like that. Two others to consider would be the Pioneer 47tx and the Denon 4802. All of these receivers are between $1600 and $2000 and any one of them would probably be a fine choice. As always, try to listen to as many of them as you can and let your ears decide.

Take Care,
Dalton

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
AVR4802 would be a good choice ,however, I doubt you'd get an "authorized" dealer to sell it at that price.
The RXV1 IN GOLD is being sold through some retail establishments (Hi-Fi Buys in Atlanta to name one) @ $1299 ,
WHICH WOULD MAKE IT QUITE A BARGAIN !!!!!

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Michael,

I too own the Sony STR-DA777ES. A fine piece of equipment by Sony. I know this does not address your question, but have you considered moving to seperates?

Currently, I've added a seperate amp/Sherbourn 5/1500A using the Sony as a pre-pro. Eventually, when the Outlaw pre-pro is readily available, I will bring that into the system, giving me flexibily to use the Sony somewhere else. Total cost is around $2-2300 for both amp/pre-pro. By the way, I am not a dealer of any sort.

There is a large difference in sound quality using the seperate amp for my ears.

Just a thought. Good luck in your quest. All of the above amps are great receivers.

Charles

JackS

Supporting Actor
My opinion may be a little dated since I've not shopped for receivers for over 3 years. The HK 8000 should be a definate consideration. I also own a 777es and during my last purchase, it came down to the Sony 777 and the Hk 7000. I finally went with the 777 for various reasons, which were mostly econimical at the time. I've never had any regrets nor any inclination to upgrade my 777 since. If I were to begin shopping today, I'd use the HK 8000 as a baseline and try to beat it. Not so sure I'd have any success, but you've got to start somewhere. There is a lot of nice equipment in your price range. Another consideration may be the Sony DA5 mated to a multichannel amp. If you check out the features and it's rather unique dual multi-channel connectivity, it appears the DA5 may be a rather formidable pre-amp and both would fit easily in your budget. In my experience, I don't let decisions become difficult. You should quickly narrow it down to two units and your final decision will come easy. Good Luck

DanielSmi

Second Unit
I would say get a pioneer vsx-47tx, because you get the cool mcacc feature, or maybe a denon-4802.

Daniel Smith

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
I've read good things about the RX-V3200. The RX-V1 as someone pointed out might be at a real attractive price but it lacks some of the newer features like DPII and Neo6. If the 3200 is too expensive you can consider the RX-V2200, which is what I own and I'm quite happy with it.

- Mike

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
Keith,

do you know a place were I check out the Rotel and could you give me a price on it? Thanks.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
The Rotel retails for $1999 I believe. There is a place somewhat near the South Bay Galleria called Systems Design Group that is listed as a Rotel dealer. I bought my Definitive Technology speakers from them a couple years ago. I don't know if they have a 1065 set up for demo but you might want to give them a call.
-Keith
P.S. Sound & Vision did a review of this unit not too long ago. I don't remember the exact issue but maybe you can find it online.
P.P.S.S. There was mention of a new receiver in the Rotel line at the lower end of the scale. It sounds like it might be very similar to the 1065 except with smaller amps. Here is the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks