What's new

Best HT Speakers for around US$ 1200 (1 Viewer)

varon

Auditioning
Hello,
I am looking for the best 5.1 (sub optional) complete speakers setup
for a 20' by 20' room, and my budget is around $1250
Currently the best candidate is the new KEF KHT 2005 system Link Removed
Which seems to match my budget.
Any suggestions or experiences with these speakers ?
I plan to drive them with Marantz' new SR 6200/7200 HT Receiver.
Thank you !

Martice

Screenwriter
Have you listened to any other speaker systems as of yet? Do you have access to PSB, Paradigm, Def Tech, ATI etc..
There are so many good speaker companies that make systems that fit your range but what is truely going to seperate one system from another is how they sound to you. Try to hear as many speaker systems as possible before you settle on one brand. I know you have a budget but try to resist settling on a brand because it fits you budget. Infact, I'm going to go out on the limb and say that when I was building my setup I decided to go with PSB. I found that they had many different setups to match many budgets. At the time I thought one of their Image line setups would fit my budget so naturally I gravitated over to that line. Well I happened to hear their Stratus line and really liked what I heard but I couldn't afford the price of the whole Stratus Goldi HT setup. SO what I did was purchase the Goldi speakers for the fronts and the matching C6i center channel and didn't buy the subwoofer or the Stratus surrounds but I did purchase a pair of their Image 2B speakers for surrounds which are much cheaper than the Stratus. The Goldi's provide the bottom end until I get a sub woofer but I feel that I did get the most important speakers out the way and that is the front 3 which will provide me with the best chance of creating a seamless soundfield. My processors will change and they are easy to sell just like a receiver. However, speakers are not as easy to sell and are much harder to pack and ship. Make sure the speaker system that you pick are the ones that you really like and even if you have to be creative with how you purchase them it will prove worth it in the long run.
Sorry for the mini novel.
------------------
What if it gets no better than this!?!

John Gates

Second Unit
For around $1250, I'd consider:
nOrh 4.0 ceramic package (5 nOrh 4.0's) for $850 (US). See these at http://www.norh.com. I love the looks of these, and the sound is unmatched in this price range (to my ears, anyway). However, I will say that the design of these speakers is something you will either love or hate.
Also worth investigatging are Axiom and Swan Diva. I own the nOrh's, and for the bang/buck, you simply can't lose! I have not yet heard the Divas or the Axioms, but they each have a loyal following and a very good rep for great sound for not so much dough.
Now, that leaves you around $400 for a sub. I own 2 SVS 20-39's, and they blend perfectly with the 4.0's, but that is beyond your price range. You could go cheap, get a SVS 25-31, and use an old receiver to power it (if you have one). Also consider the Adire subs.
I'm sure there are other combos out there, but this one would RULE for both HT and music. You'll be amazed at how much sound this amount of $$ will buy with these online speaker manufacturers.
John
------------------

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I would consider klipsch.Get a pair of sf-1 for the mains,sc-1 for the center and a pair of sb-1 for your rears.That puts you to about $1000 msrp.You should be able to get a decent deal and have enough to get a svs 25-31.If you have an old reciever to push it you are in luck.
This is the system I have except I was able to get the sf-2 instead of the one.Only difference is they have dual 6 1/2 where as the sf-1 has a single one.
Personally,I think horn tweeters work best for a home theater...they just sound right.
------------------

george king

Supporting Actor
The Kef package sounds good. I run a Kef Q series setup, and I think that that the Q15.2's sound better. You should be able to get 2 pairs of Q15.2's and the Q95C.2 for about $800-900, and then add the sub of your choice. Personally I think that this would be a better setup.
Hope this helps.

Phillip Hintze

Auditioning
No offense, but I would stay away from Klipsch unless your receiver sounds very dark. I work in a hi-fi store that carries Klipsch and while they're very efficient, they tend to colorize the music/sound in an almost intolerable way. Unless you have a very dark amplification source, I would caution you about Klipsch.
I would check out the latest Sound & Vision magazine. They have an article pitting three "bargain" systems against each other: Klipsch vs. Polk Audio (I think) vs. Mission. It was pretty informative.
------------------
"Legend has it that Tacho can transform himself into a large white bird"

BryanZ

Screenwriter
For $1250 I like the nOrh 4.0 package ($850) and the Adire Audio Rava ($400). You may want to get a used Paradigm sub, such as the PW-2200, locally as that will save you money on shipping.

John Chow

Second Unit
I'm a big fan of Kef as well. I run Q35s in the front and rear w/Q95 for the center. I was able to get these 5 speakers for about $1250 total. The Q35s retail for $600, but I've been able to get them for $450 in the 2 instances that I got them (a friend bought a set as well, but from a different store). The problem with this is it wouldn't give you a sub. If you get the Q15s in the rear, you would have some leftover for a sub. I guess it depends on how much you can get the dealer to bargain with you.

David Head

Second Unit
I highly recommend the PSB Image speakers in that price range. You can audition them at:
A.L. Audio
Herzliya Business Park
85 Medinat Hayehudim Street
Herzliya Pituach, Israel
Tel: 972 9 774 7377
Fax: 972 9 774 7123
I recommend that you try to listen to whatever speaker you're considering. The Ascend and nOrh speakers offer in home trial periods, so that would be OK too.
Good Luck.
David

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
I have the definitive technology procinema 100 package.I have them using a marantz sr7000.My room is close to your dimensions(22.5 x 19).they fill the room completely especially wired via def.tech. recomendations.I have had this system for approx. a year and a half. and i love them.
i would say their probably the best sat/sub speakers out there.They fit within you price range.They even have the 80s which are a little smaller.
Chek them out.

Tod Gettys

Auditioning
I concur with Greg's opinion of the HTD Level 3's. I have the exact same combo as he does, and I think they sound terrific. The Y combo goes for just under $1000, so you could probably even upgrade to one of those SVS subs that everyone is raving about. I'm content with the HTD sub.
My only disclaimer concerning the Level 3's is that the surrounds are fairly large. In truth they are as big as most bookshelf speakers. They sound great, but I was nervous about mounting them on the wall with the brackets I got from HTD, so I would up buying separate stands to use with them.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks