What's new

best head cleaner for S-VHS decks? (1 Viewer)

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
ok, I just bought a JVC HR-S9911U deck(new) and a Sony SLV-R1000(used - under 30hrs. of use) to replace my old JVC HR-S3500 SVHS deck. I want to make sure I keep them in top shape so I want to get a few head cleaners. could someone recommend a good one to get? thanks.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Head cleaners won't keep your SVHS VCR in shape. If you must use them, do so only when the picture indicates cleaning is needed which shouldn't be very often. Taking the cover off the VCR and cleaning the heads with a chamois and alcohol is much preferred to using a head cleaner. If you don't want to mess with that, the 3M Blackwatch and Sony T-25CLD tape head cleaners will often clean the heads acceptably.

Chris

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I'll piggyback this question since it is about high end SVHS VCR's. Is there anyone who really is a DaVinci at repairing these units? I have a Mitsubishi U65, U69, and 746 none of which are functioning well. I hate to just give up on the 65/69, but nobody locally even has a clue and 2 tries at fixing my workhorse previous U67 just made things worse.

So far the JVC 9500 is floating along fine, but I need a guru to call upon for some magic.

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
I'm basically looking to get a few head cleaners now because my fear is that when I really need one I won't be able to find any.

on the other hand, I don't mind taking a vcr apart to give it a good cleaning as well. the tape cleaner is just an easier first step instead of going through the hassle of messing with all the equipment removal to get it out of my A/V rack.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i would probably also just open it up and clean it myself. just remember *not* to get any alcohol on any rubber parts ... clean the heads and capstans (sp?) only.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks