What's new

Best Flatbed Scanner for PC >$200? (1 Viewer)

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I haven't had a scanner in years and I find myself needing one more, and more. The unit I am looking for will be used primarily for photographs and the occasional Snapper case but I would like the flexibility of using it for letter size documents.

I have read that most of the scanners with the ability to scan photo negatives are not nearly as good as dedicated negative scanners. Fact or Fiction?

I am running XP and I have 512mb or DDR-RAM

Any recommendations are appreciated!

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I've been scouring the net, reading every review I can on scanners since my older SCSI scanner will not work with XP, properly.
Anyway after days of searching and reading I've come to the conclusion that almost every $100-$300 scanner is junk...With the exception of maybe one or two and one of them being the Epson Perfection 1660 PHOTO Scanner.
This is the one I will be getting myself, even though I haven't tried it, which is really the only way to go in deciding.
On Epsons site, the scanner lists for $179 US.
Jeff

KyleS

Screenwriter
:laugh: Joel I was thinking the same thing but knew it was an honest mistake. Hopefully the links that Ted provided can shine some light on your question.
KyleS

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>after days of searching and reading I've come to the conclusion that almost every $100-$300 scanner is junk...

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
First of all, here is a website that may prove to be a valuable resource to anyone with a scanner, or anyone considering buying a scanner: http://www.scantips.com/
Sure, a $100-300 scanner is a piece of junk compared to a $5,000-50,000 scanner. But these $100-300 scanners are still quite good.
Fact: A letter-size flatbed scanner with the ability to scan negatives cannot scan them as good as a dedicated negative scanner.
If you are interested in a good general-purpose scanner that does come with the ability to scan negatives and 35mm slides, I'd suggest the Link Removed. My parents have one of these, and I have been happy enough using it myself. It's basically the same as the HP ScanJet 4400, except it comes with a slide/negative adapter, a device that plugs into the scanner, you slip the negative or slide into it, place it (negative or slide side down) on the scanner glass, and it lights the negative or slide from behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks