What's new

Best DVD Player for around $500???? (1 Viewer)

JayM

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking to upgrade and was wondering about opinions. What do you think is the best bang for your buck DVD player for around $500.
Let me know what you think

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jay, many people are high on the Panasonic DVD-RP91, which offers both progressive-scan video output and DVD-Audio. Street price at Crutchfield or Tweeter is $700, but I believe some authorized mail-order dealers sell it for around $500. Others here should be able to point you to the right dealers. The one thing is that a couple people here have had problems with the 'RP91 reading Region 1 DVDs. I don't know that the problem is widespread, however.
If progressive-scan output is not important to you, you might consider the Sony DVP-NS500V single-disc player for around $300 and the Sony DVP-NC650V five-disc carousel changer fro around $400. Both are interlaced players, but they offer playback of stereo and multi-channel SACDs. I've seen some reference on discussion boards to the 'NS500V being released recently, but I don't think the 'NC650V is out yet. You might check availabilty on these models with J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180) or Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480). Both are authorized Sony dealers and have good price on Sony equipment (especially Oade Bros.). Also, Crutchfield's web site for more information on these Sony players (and the Panasonic 'RP91).
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Chris Vargas

Agent
I went with an RP91 mainly due to the positive comments in this forum. There are some concerns on its progressive scan capabilities since it doesn't use the Sage/Faroujda chip, but enough of the positives (DVD audio, DTS and DD decoding, excellent zoom mode for non-anamorphic DVDs) seemed to outweigh the negatives.
No idea if they're authorized or not, but I got mine from www.etronics.com for $420.
--cv--

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks