What's new

Best Buy's Fox Demo Disc #2 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Got it! As I mention in my Weekly Roundup, this baby is available starting today, free with purchase of ANY Fox DVD or VHS from Best Buy.
One of my favorite staffers was even kind enough to go in the back and dig one out for me, after verifying with the manager that it wasn't necessary to wait until Tuesday to distribute them (since the blurb in their circular ties it to Ice Age primarily).
The box and menu system is an "Ice Age" theme, not surprisingly!
Coupons! Yep, coupons are inside again, all good only at Best Buy of course:
  • 10% of any regularly priced DVD (expires 12/31/02)
  • 15% any of these Gift Sets: Home Alone, Family Features, Laugh Out Loud, Movies With Soul, Rodgers & Hammerstein, Schwarzenegger, and World War II (expires 1/10/03)
  • $5 off any of the following Fox TV Complete Season DVD sets: Buffy S1, Malcolm S1, Mary Tyler Moore S1, M*A*S*H S1, Simpsons S1 (all are Season 1's!) (expires 1/10/03)
  • $5 off PS2 or GameCube versions of "Star Wars Bounty Hunter" videogame (expires 1/10/03)
  • $10 off any season set of X-Files on DVD (including Season 6!) (expires 1/10/03)
  • $3 off any of the following 5-Star collections: Cleopatra, French Connection, Die Hard, M*A*S*H, Speed (expires 1/10/03)
  • $5 off when you buy any TWO of the following: The Beach, Black Knight, Don't Say A Word, Fight Club (1-Disc), From Hell, Joy Ride, Kung Pow, Last of the Mohicans, Sexy Beast (expires 1/10/03)
I haven't had a chance to watch much of it, and gotta go visit the in-laws today, so here's whats on the menus:
Picture: From Hell, Hustler, Ice Age, M*A*S*H, Moulin Rouge, Planet of the Apes, X-Files S6 (the last is a neat demo of full- vs. Widescreen! :D )
Audio: Behind Enemy Lines, From Hell, Moulin Rouge, Planet of the Apes, PLUS A SUB-MENU of "Fox En Espanol": ID4, Kiss of the Dragon, Predator
Features: Planet of the Apes, Moulin Rouge, Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 3, Simpsons Season 2, Ice Age, 24 (Season Promo)
Menus: Cleopatra, Die Hard with a Vengeance, From Hell, Ice Age, Moulin Rouge, Planet of the Apes
Coming Attractions (trailers, none of them anamorphic, and Like Mike is fullscreen!): Daredevil, Like Mike, Phone Booth, Solaris, Unfaithful.
Plus the "DVD for beginners" and THX opitimizer that was on last year's disc.

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
David,

Ugh! I tried that same line of reasoning with our two local Best Buy stores (San Fernando, CA for those of you in the neighborhood), and it got me absolutely nowhere. Both locations insisted that they were not "allowed" to give out the demos until Tuesday, because that was the "listed street date."

I was even told by several employees that the ads specifically stated that it was coming out on Tuesday — but of course when we examined the ads together, there was no such wording. One location gave me an, "Oh well... it's still coming out Tuesday no matter what the ad says." As for the other, after a long pause, I received a: "Look right there! It says that all these titles on the page are new releases coming out on Tuesday, and that obviously includes this demo thing." My mentioning that most of the titles on that page were already available and weren't "new releases" got me a very confused stare.

Ah, frustrating... but not too surprising, considering that Best Buy has now packed their stores with temporary holiday personnel who aren't at all familiar with the products. But in the end, it's just not worth the time, effort or aggrevation to convince them that, according to their own ads, the Demo Disc should have been released today. Too bad none of the long-time BB employees I know at one location (6 from the DVD dept.) work on weekends, because they've always been happy to oblige me in instances like this (and not like this, too). No matter... I'll just pop in Tuesday morning and grab it then with a new release or two.

In any event, David, I really just wanted the folks here to know that the Fox Demo Disc #2 is NOT currently available at all Best Buy locations, only certain ones. (This is what I've also been hearing from various friends around the country... none of there local Best Buy's would release it yet either.) According to a couple industry contacts (and as you yourself mentioned), even though Best Buy's CAN release the DVD today, the majority of locations are purposely holding off until Tuesday so that they are available in conjunction with the "Ice Age" DVD (i.e. for in-store promotional and marketing reasons). In the meantime, for those of you who are trying to get the demo before Tuesday, my recommendation would be to call your local Best Buy for availability.

Sounds like a great Demo Disc... can't wait to watch it!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
At least I won't have to wait outside the store for an hour on Friday morning, like I did last year! (I'm a total geek for this kind of thing!)

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Hopefully Canadian Best Buys will get the DVD... I really want to get it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
They scanned it into the register. I'm looking at the receipt now: SKU #4883335. Rang up at $0.01 and automatically adjusted to $0.00 when the register system did it's "combo scan" thing.

Huh...thanks for making me look harder at this receipt! I got overcharged for something else by $4. Time to pay customer service a bit of a call...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My BestBuy wouldn't give me one tonight (Tuesday).:angry:
They said that it IS tied into the new releases because in their flyer this week, the announcement was placed inside the color box that touted all their other new releases for this week. :rolleyes:
I WILL be back tomorrow. The question is: WHICH Fox DVD to get?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Dang... lucky torontonians :P I knew BestBuy got affiliated with futureshop, i didnt know they were moving up here yet...

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Just an fyi.
Get a free Fox dvd demo from Best Buy when you purchase any Fox dvd demo.
Supposedly supplies are limited to 250 copies at each store.
This is the 2nd Fox dvd demo that I have acquired from Best Buy.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I bought "Romeo and Juliet" with Leonardo, so I was going to buy this eventually.
Someone on another forum said the demo could be purchase for .01.

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
I stopped in at Best Buy this afternoon to pick up today's Smashing Pumpkins CD and DVD releases. While browsing the DVD aisle, an employee walked up to me and said that since I was buying a DVD, I could have one of the FOX demo discs for free. He said they had a ton of them, so they were just trying to get rid of them as quickly as possible. Didn't need to get a FOX DVD after all, though I did technically end up paying $0.01 for it (since I didn't get a FOX DVD, the register didn't knock the cent off).

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Which demo do you guys prefer?
Demo #1 or #2.
I think I prefer #1 but both are nice collector discs.
The thing I like about Demo #1 is the beginning of the disc where all the movies on the disc are thrown together.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Same story as Pete's for me.
I was buying the Paul McCartney DVD & CD and the line I was in grounded to a halt with the customer before me. (My typical luck.)
When I finally got up to the plate, the cashier seemed to be clueless about the demo that was already sitting on the counter. She scanned it and said "Oh, it's only .01".
:)
C

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i got 2 one was free since i got ice age and the other was .01

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
I strolled into my local Best Buy this evening. The had a bunch of them on the new release racks so I grabbed one and went to a check out line. Cost me $.01 and I didn't have to buy anything else.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks