What's new

Best Buy and the Midnite Movies Streeting on 3-22 (1 Viewer)

Travis W.

Second Unit

I was refering to their facts being wrong about the street date. Who knows, and besides, I was just throwing out a theory.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
I didn't want to risk losing out on these discs either so I ordered the following 8 "Midnite Movies" double-feature DVDs (including 3 leftovers from the previous batch) from DVD Soon:

1.VOODOO ISLAND (1957)/THE FOUR SKULLS OF JONATHAN DRAKE (1959)
2.PANIC IN YEAR ZERO (1962)/THE LAST MAN ON EARTH (1964)
3.TALES OF TERROR (1962)/TWICE TOLD TALES (1963)
4.WAR GODS OF THE DEEP (1965)/AT THE EARTH'S CORE (1976)
5.DIE, MONSTER, DIE! (1965)/THE DUNWICH HORROR (1970)
6.THE WILD ANGELS (1966)/HELL'S BELLES (1970)
7.WILD IN THE STREETS (1968)/GAS-S-S-S (1970)
8.THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT (1974)/THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT (1977)

By the way, I've only recently registered for the "Fidelity Card" with DVD Soon (since they were offering a 20% discount and 2 free DVDs for a limited period of time) which allows you to have a 10% discount on every purchase made thereafter from DVD Soon. However, when I tried to enter either of those 2 coupons mentioned above, it automatically disqualified the one which comes with the membership. I know that I shouldn't be too greedy, particularly when it comes to DVD Soon's highly affordable prices and especially these "Midnite Movies" two-fers but, still, you can't blame a guy for trying...:)!

AlanBrom

Second Unit

But this incident happened on that very street date. It's all very confusing, and I really wish MGM would take more care in promoting this series with more care. I think us loyal consumers at least deserve that!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm new to this business of ordering online, but I put an order in for VOODOO ISLAND/FOUR SKULLS OF JONATHAN DRAKE and also PANIC IN YEAR ZERO/LAST MAN ON EARTH from DVDSOON back on 3/24. I don't know about anyone else who ordered within the last two days, but my status says the titles are "pending". Anyone else? Is this part of the routine?

AlanBrom

Second Unit
From DVDSoon.com I got PANIC IN YEAR ZERO/LAST MAN ON EARTH and MINI-SKIRT MOB/CHROME AND HOT LEATHER a week ago, but my VOODOO ISLAND/FOUR SKULLS OF JONATHAN DRAKE hasn't shipped yet, and the website says it's on order. It comes in this week at Number 3 on their sales charts.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I got tired of awaiting for my order from DVDSoon to process, so I wound up ordering them from Amazon.ca. I had to pay more, but they're here now.

I do have a question for those of you fortunate enough to have these discs too. I bought five of the eight

Panic in the Year Zero/Last Man on Earth
Voodoo Island/Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake
Tales of Terror/Twice Told Tales
War Gods of the Deep/At the Earth's Core
and
Die Monster Die!/The Dunwich Horror

Of the above, the only one to have a bilingual cover was Die Monster Die!/The Dunwich Horror. What has the experience been with bilingual covers and these movies?

Do each of these movies have a bilingual and non-bilingual version, or is Die Monster Die!/The Dunwich Horror so how 'special' in that it gets the ugly, old bilingual treatment?

Thanks.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
Panic in the Year Zero/Last Man on Earth
Voodoo Island/Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake
Tales of Terror/Twice Told Tales
War Gods of the Deep/At the Earth's Core
and
Die Monster Die!/The Dunwich Horror

What I'd love to know is when MGM plans to release these in the United States? Could they really have gone through all the trouble to produce these and only release them in Canada? I heard September 20, but there is nothing concrete on that, or that they plan to do any more "new" Midnite Movies this year.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've had Panic and Hot Chrome on order since April 4 from DVDSOON, and they have not yet shipped. Neither HAs the Amityville Boxset, which I had pre-ordered. Are the availability on these goofed because of the MGM buy out? I've seen Amityville in the stores the week it came out, but have'nt noticed it since.

Has Panic actually been recalled, as rumored?

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
AlanBrom... as for bilingual covers, I believe that in Canada if it is also sold in the US, the disc is required to have a French soundtrack "and" bilingual covers sold in Canada. But with this batch of Midnite Movies being in a state of limbo, MGM probably didn't get a chance to produce bilingual covers for each disc?

I also noticed that with a couple of my discs (Panic and Fireball 500) that the security tape that has the title and barcode says under the DVD logo that it was "Made in Canada". This could account for the fact that they are relatively available in Canada but not the US. Possibly there are some sort of sanction by Sony they prohibits the sale in the US of goods not released prior to a certain date?

I suspect that MGM kinda knew what was coming down the pike with them making their DVD offerings more bare bones as time progressed. First no inserts which they usually had a 4-8 page one with each movie. Then reducing the "extras" in certain titles for their so-called Special Editions. In fact, I've been trying to get a "Thelma & Louise" special edition that has ALL of the extras on it but so far coming up short. One dealer is selling a version that doesn't have the SE banner but online says it's the SE version because both have the same UPC number. Then I finally find one that has the SE banner and the complete list of extras on the back only to find the disc inside only has the stripped down feature offerings! Then rock bottom pricing. Now the recalls and limited releases. What a mess so...

Russell G... I doubt that you will see a September release date for these Midnite Movies so I would buy them up as quick as I could because who knows what Sony has in store besides higher prices????

Eric

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Forget DVDSOON (LATER). I ordered 2 of these DVDs from them back on March 24th and they never shipped. So after hearing so many positive things from Amazon, I cancelled my order with DVDLATER and ordered with Amazon on April 11th. I received the DVDs in only five days.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just called DVDsoon and mine are still pending from 3/24.

I'm going to try Amazon.ca to see if they have any in stock.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
PANIC IN YEAR ZERO/LAST MAN ON EARTH
BORIS KARLOFF'S VOODOO ISLAND/FOUR SKULLS OF JONATHAN DRAKE
WAR-GODS OF THE DEEP/AT THE EARTH'S CORE
DIE MONSTER DIE/THE DUNWICH HORROR
TALES OF TERROR/TWICE TOLD TALES

these are all the ones that never appeared earlier this year.
they now have an official date.
this weeks video business shows a street date of sept 20th.

also a rerelease of the pg swamp thing.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I know the last three sets have been part of the Midnight Movie line earlier. I also think they were released in the
same double feature set last October. The first three sets are the only new movies that are being released.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok but i remember them being part of the exclusive best buy in march sets that never made it out except in cananda.

that must be why video business has them as part of the sep 20th release list.

mini skirt mob appeared to have come out june 7th so i took that one off.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
WAR-GODS OF THE DEEP/AT THE EARTH'S CORE
DIE MONSTER DIE/THE DUNWICH HORROR
TALES OF TERROR/TWICE TOLD TALES

These are not new releases. I bought these at Walmart in October of 2004.

PANIC IN YEAR ZERO/LAST MAN ON EARTH
BORIS KARLOFF'S VOODOO ISLAND/FOUR SKULLS OF JONATHAN DRAKE

These are the only new releases from MGM.

There are so many classic horror films in the MGM library but instead we get retreads. That is so frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks