best budget progressive scan?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i'm finally getting a 16:9 TV tomorrow (38" RCA) and need quick help on a good, budget progressive scan dvd player so i can test out the tv. I plan on getting a RP91 sometime soon but i can't be spending too much money right now (plus i can use my old pioneer dvd player via s-video for non-anamorphic material.

what's the best bang for my small amount of bucks?

thanks!

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Sean,

At the under US$200 price point the player to beat is the Panasonic RP-56.

Regards,

3. Sean Patrick

i am actually willing to go up around $300 - the 7 disc JVC player looks nice. I heard that panasonics can't pass blacker-than-black - is that true on the RP56?

4. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Sean - I've got the JVC changer (got it from the Best Buy on Cumberland Blvd for $220) and I've seen the RP56. My advice to you is to get the RP56; the JVC has a good picture, but the RP56 is spectacular. You can get it for $186 tax free with free shipping here:
    http://www.abtelectronics.com/script...lag=1020104499
    Since you're in Atlanta, we are actually giving an RP56 away at our next HT meet; check the link in my sig for details.
    If you just want to borrow a prog scan player to see how it would look, shoot me an email; I could always loan you my JVC for a couple days.

5. Sean Patrick

hmm..maybe i should just go ahead and get the rp91, they have a great price on that one too. Is the video ship in the RP91 as good as the RP56? i really want the scaling but like i said, i can keep my interlaced player downstairs for non-anamorphic discs if the RP56 has the best visuals.

6. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Sean,

Since you are getting the RCA set, you need a player that will do scaling, since the RCA locks into full mode on a progressive signal.

As a result, you need either the JVC (the new model 500 something, has a new chip and runs about $175), or the RP-91 (or one of the new Panasonics, due soon).

You should not get the RP-56, because it won't scale.

Hope this helps.

7. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

The RP91 actually uses an inferior chip to do de-interlacing. The RP56 (and the new model-year players) use the Farojida chip. I really can't recommend the RP56 highly enough; the difference is stunning for 16x9 progressive material.

8. Sean Patrick

JVC has a progressive player with scaling for $175!?!?!!?