What's new

best budget progressive scan? (1 Viewer)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i'm finally getting a 16:9 TV tomorrow (38" RCA) and need quick help on a good, budget progressive scan dvd player so i can test out the tv. I plan on getting a RP91 sometime soon but i can't be spending too much money right now (plus i can use my old pioneer dvd player via s-video for non-anamorphic material.

what's the best bang for my small amount of bucks?

thanks!

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i am actually willing to go up around $300 - the 7 disc JVC player looks nice. I heard that panasonics can't pass blacker-than-black - is that true on the RP56?

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Sean - I've got the JVC changer (got it from the Best Buy on Cumberland Blvd for $220) and I've seen the RP56. My advice to you is to get the RP56; the JVC has a good picture, but the RP56 is spectacular. You can get it for $186 tax free with free shipping here:
Link Removed
Since you're in Atlanta, we are actually giving an RP56 away at our next HT meet; check the link in my sig for details.
If you just want to borrow a prog scan player to see how it would look, shoot me an email; I could always loan you my JVC for a couple days.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
hmm..maybe i should just go ahead and get the rp91, they have a great price on that one too. Is the video ship in the RP91 as good as the RP56? i really want the scaling but like i said, i can keep my interlaced player downstairs for non-anamorphic discs if the RP56 has the best visuals.

george king

Supporting Actor
Sean,

Since you are getting the RCA set, you need a player that will do scaling, since the RCA locks into full mode on a progressive signal.

As a result, you need either the JVC (the new model 500 something, has a new chip and runs about $175), or the RP-91 (or one of the new Panasonics, due soon).

You should not get the RP-56, because it won't scale.

Hope this helps.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
The RP91 actually uses an inferior chip to do de-interlacing. The RP56 (and the new model-year players) use the Farojida chip. I really can't recommend the RP56 highly enough; the difference is stunning for 16x9 progressive material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks