What's new

Bernie to Buy CART? (1 Viewer)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
The rumors that have been swirling around for weeks about F1 Supremo Bernie Ecclestone buying the CART series are gaining some substance:
Link Removed
IF this is really true it will be very interesting to see how it develops.
Bernie was absent from last month's USGP (it is rare for him to miss a GP) and was in Europe on "important business" At the same time his old friend Chris Pook, CART's CEO, was also in Europe on "important business". Hmmm. Some months ago Pook said that CART's new engine formula for 2005 would likely be a 3.0 liter V-10, which just happens to be the same format that F-1 uses. Hmmm.
Some sort of alliance between F-1 & CART could be very beneficial to both. CART has for a long time been the only series that can even be considered to be in the same league as F-1 although it has fallen a long way from 1993 when the 92 F-1 Champion Nigel Mansell raced in CART and the 92 CART Champ Michael Andretti raced in F-1.
If CART uses F-1 style engines, it would create a market for customer engines from Ferrari and Cosworth and may encourage other manufacturers to produce customer engines also and it would leverage the manufacturers investment with added exposure in North America.
Bernie has more countries lining up wanting to give him $15-20 million a pop for the privilege of organizing a Grand Prix. If CART morphs in to "F1 1/2" he can give those who loose out on a F-1 race a substitute. CART would also provide an intermediate step between F3000 and F1. (Which is exactly what Williams used it for with Montoya & Sir Frank knows a thing or two about developing drivers).
Another benefit from all this is that Pook is also the promoter for Long Beach and maybe the USGP will eventually return there!

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Hey it's been rumored that Cart was in some financial trouble for some time now, so I wouldn't doubt it.

Could only help I think.

Brent

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I hope this goes through because Toyota and Honda will stick around in CART if it does and that can only be good. The rumours of CART going to the V-10's used in F1 cars is a good thing as well. Manufacturer's like Mercedes and the like really want that racing presence in the U.S. market.

The Molson Indy Vancouver is always great. If this comes to fruition it should be around for awhile.

Patrick

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Mixed feelings about this. While a purchase by Bernie might provide for a much needed infusion and extend the life of CART, it would also officially relegate CART as a 2nd tier or minor league racing series.

I still believe that in principle, CART provides the most technically challenging racing, given the wide variety of circuits. However, to be officially classed as a feeder system for F1 would be a great blow to its prestige as the most technically challenging racing. Even to what little prestige remains. It would become a farm system - it cannot possibly claim to be a premier series.

But, at the given rate of driver/team attrition, CART may have no choice. Everyone already knew that most of its drivers aspired to achieve F1 status. With a purchase, I guess that would only make it official.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
If you think globally, why not? Chassis, drivers, engines & tires are already non American. Comes down to owners & sponsors. Only other option is to re-merge with the IRL.

Just put MANDATORY HIGH-DEF coverage on all events please.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Pook said months ago that they were likely moving towards V-10 NA engines in 2005. There's been a lot of buzz about this for months.
However, Bernie buying into CART doesn't automatically make CART 'F1 jr'. We'll have to see how it all plays out. There are a lot of issues. Bernie doesn't have as much control as he used to have, and he doesn't like how some things are going in F1 these days. F3000 is bleeding badly, then there's the Premiere series and the manufacturers still threatening their own series in 2007. And F1 just can't go to as many countries as the race fans around the world would like. They are sticking with 17 races. So Imola gets dropped for China, then who gets dropped when they add Russia? And who fills in the vacuums?
Regardless of what happens, I'll take CART over an all-oval series where they run flat out and the cars are glued to the track any day of the week. No matter what name it has, and who it may be officially or unofficially affiliated with.
CART is bleeding, but they aren't dead. There's a lot of problems, but a couple hundred mill in the bank and some smart management and they can get back on top within the next year or two.
Did you know that within a couple of years the Mexico City promoters are expecting 400,000 to 500,000 on race day (not the whole weekend)? That would make it the highest attended race on the planet. Did you know the CART races in Denver and Miami were HUGE successes for the sponsors and promoters? Did you know CART will likely be street racing around Meigs field in Chicago in 2004? Did you know paid weekend attendence in Australia for this weekend has already passed 330,000, and they have to keep adding grandstands? There are a lot of positive things going on in CART, but the media loves bad news so that's all you are ever going to hear about.
If Bernie is in Surfer's Paradise this weekend, look for big news within a month.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Here's another update from the Toronto Sun: Link Removed
Going public was a very bad idea for CART, but since they changed the rules for Forsythe they can change them for Bernie. I hope this does work out, it will be the best thing for CART in the long run IMO.
The Mexico City thing is going to be HUGE, estimated 225 mph on the straight away and another part of the track going through the middle of a baseball stadium! :eek: although its a pity they can no longer use the full Peralta corner anymore.
Hmm.. I wonder if Bernie could fly this to Australia? Bernie's plane He has a silver one too.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Here's another tidbit (from AtlasF1)

Pook added that he was negotiating with Ecclestone but refused to confirm English newspaper reports that Ecclestone was planning to buy a 51 percent share in the series in a deal to lure more American drivers into Formula One and raise its profile in the United States.
are there any Aericans in CART? I can't think of a single world class American road racer I'm sorry to say. BUt if drivers could explicitly train for F-1 in a North American based series such as CART maybe more could come up through the ranks. Few Americans seem to be willing to put the time & effort into F3000 in Europe like everyone else. If this could save one talent from going round and round in cricles it will be worth it.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Thrilling pic, Charles. My stomach nearly dropped looking at it. Too bad we won't see the KOOL green anymore...and no, I'm not a smoker.
Sidenote: Belgium is to be stricken off the F1 series (next year?), as a result of the country's ban of tobacco sponsorship. The rest of the world will follow suit beginning in '06, when the F1 will comply with a WHO embargo. Tough to imagine, but no more Marlboro red and white.
I think John is right...Jimmy Vasser is the lone American in CART. IRL is also going the way of the foreigner. ;)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Taking Spa off the calendar is ridiculous, it is a fan and driver favorite. I was planning on going next year too! :frowning:
The CART race in Surfer's Paradise just got off to a terrible start in the rain with one of the worst multi-car accidents I've seen. I hope everyone is OK, several cars flipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks