What's new

Berman & Braga Have Done it Now (Spoilered) to Appear on Enterprise (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
(Admin note - Spoilers below of upcoming episodes, so be forewarned!)

Well to demonstrate how conceptually bankrupt they are for Ideas the dtnamic Duo will introduce the Borg to the 22nd Century Series. According to Trek Today the episode in May will find a team of Arctic Scientist finding a Downed Borg Sphere and Contacting Starfleet, who dispatches The NX-01 to investigate. The episode kinda sounds reminiscent of "The Thing" with a Trek Turn.

I'm sure this ep will be similar to the earlier Ferengi episode that teeters on breaking continuity without actually doing it. I'm sure the team of scientists will get wiped out before starfleet can see the vessel. But so what. There's so many good storylines possible in the Birth of the Fderation storyline that there is no reason to trot out the Borg Again !

Now it's been also mentioned that this might be the cube from First Contact and this is further evidence of the Polluted timeline in the temporal Cold War storyline, but I don't care. We don't need Borg in Enterprise.

It's kinda sad to since the last few eps of Enterprise have been pretty good and have stood on their own.

Paramount take the reigns from B&B.

We'll see what happens when this drastic attemp at rating airs.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Awesome! Love the Borg, at least when done with the creepyness they deserve.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Honestly, are any of us surprised by this? I might accept it, IF, it's because the events of Star Trek:First Contact are held responsible for altering history. Then at least we can look back at Q Who and think to ourselves that within that timeline, this was the first time humans see the Borg, (Which, I realize, Voyager also ruined. These are the things I loath about B&B.). Still, can't they think of something ORIGINAL?! I already got sick of the Borg in Voyager, why go back to them? And honestly, were the Enterprise E's weapons so weak that some part of the sphere actually survived? Just, can't they leave the continuity alone? Guys, STOP CHANGING THINGS!

Actually, now that I think of it...the proper way I think Enterprise should treat the Borg, should be with the origins of the Borg. Maybe it was some human-run experiment that went too far, and the ship was somehow lost light-years away. I see great potential with this kind of idea...but we've already seen that Enterpise isn't about ideas.

That's just my rant for today.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Is there even such a thing as continuity anymore in the Star Trek Universe? Not suprising at all.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Of course...I now recall that Captain Picard claimed that the big transmitter the Borg were building on the Enterprise E's deflector was meant to be used to contact the Borg of the 21st century, implying that the Borg already existed. I can only theorize that he was wrong, that the deflector was meant maybe, to become a giant phaser beam to destroy Cochrane's ship on the planet. I know it's a bit of a stretch that Picard is wrong about those little details of the Borg, but not quite as much as...What Braga has in store...

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
I am going to think good thoughts and assume that this episode will actually elaborate on the mysteries presented in "Dark Frontier" and Star Trek: First Contact.

Remember, Lily saw a lot of things while she was running around with Picard (not to mention we didn't really see anything that happened between Picard and Data's defeat of the Borg incarnate aka the queen and the Vulcan ship landing. For all we know, there were a few hours in between there and Zephram and Lily got a full tour (albeit, Picard would pay majorly for this when he ends up getting interviewed by the DTI). Lily was evidently influenced... which is how the Starfleet delta shield ended up on Friendship One (and I bet she poked around and thought the Akira-class was a neat design, so suggested it to Cochrane for the warp five vessel).

But I digress.

Who knows? Maybe the realization that the Borg are out there will help lead to the formation of the Federation, even more so than the Romulan threat. Then, as the Borg aren't encountered again for centuries, they are dismissed as rumor and legend, until the El Aurians arrive. After that, Starfleet worries and covertly lets the Hansens study them, but contact is lost. Starfleet worries, but decides there's not a lot they can do with the little information that they have on the Borg. Until Q ends up sending the Enterprise to J25.

But, that's just theory on my part. I'm just going to try to remain optimistic. It's easy to explain, kind of... Berman and Braga obviously want us to draw the lines connecting the dots ourselves.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
This is what they get for making a ST series take place so early in the timeline.

Personally, I don't care, so long as it's entertaining. Does it fit with the rest? No, probably not, but it's just a TV show. If they want, they could erase the whole season with the temporal cold war thing. Maybe at the end of the episode the Borg come in and make it all not happen.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
What gets me is that the episode with the repairing ship that takes a crew member as a replacement for the stuff it does for the ship, I thought that was the beginning of the Borg (well it looked that way) without even mentioning once about the Borg. It would make sense that the Borg started out really small and not as hostile as they are now.

But to actually reach down and discover a real Borg ship. Hmm...they are really stretching things a bit.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Time for another time jump. Cancel Enterprise, cancel any new movies, and in about five to ten years, create a new series that takes place, oh, 400 years or so after Nemesis. Oh, and make sure the creative personnel are kept at least 500 miles from Berman and Braga at all times.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
No, the next thing will be Jar-Jar! :laugh:

Hey, Kong Chang, don't you mean save me from borgdom.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Cheer up, guys - at least we weren't inflicted with Star Trek Academy. Say what you will, Enterprise is better than anything *that* monstrosity would have amounted to.

Just as an aside - isn't it remarkable how in every series of ST, our noble heroes only ever meet opponents they can just about beat or out-run? So for all the billions of years the universe has existed, every race has evolved to more or less the same extent *at exactly the same time*. Thus, in Enterprise we meet possible enemies who are a match for them, in TNG we meet more advanced enemies (just how long do you think the Silurians - or whatever they're called - would have lasted against Picard and co?).

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Who knows? Maybe the realization that the Borg are out there will help lead to the formation of the Federation, even more so than the Romulan threat. Then, as the Borg aren't encountered again for centuries, they are dismissed as rumor and legend, until the El Aurians arrive. After that, Starfleet worries and covertly lets the Hansens study them, but contact is lost. Starfleet worries, but decides there's not a lot they can do with the little information that they have on the Borg. Until Q ends up sending the Enterprise to J25.
Those are actually some interesting ideas there. Maybe what we need is a Crisis On Infinite Earths-style MINI-SERIES. Or better yet, that could be Star Trek 11. (Although a mini-series would allow more room for the various plot threads to breathe). I'm sure at least some members of the various casts could be convinced to take part in this.

Of course, this would have to be handled with the utmost care and respect (Crisis didn't exactly fix all of DC's problems), and I'm not sure I trust B&B.

Speaking of B&B, though, it should be noted that they have done a lot of good work for Trek. Berman was a protege of Roddenberry himself and was at least partially responsible for TNG taking off like it did in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th seasons. And Braga wrote some of the better episodes from those seasons.

So, they've done their bit for king and country. But could it be that they've grown so old and inflexible that they have outlived their usefulness. Would that constitute a joke? (Sorry. It was there; I had to take it :D )

They just seem to be running out of ideas. I'm not really sure what can be done, though.

As a side note, I liked Insurrection, too. I know I'm in the vast minority here, but I actually think it could be my favorite of the Next Gen films, because it was the only one that lived up to its expectations. They built it up as a lighthearted, fun adventure with a few philosophical ideas, and delivered just that (although I do wish there had been some references to Jadzia's death, and how it was affecting Worf, and maybe his reaction to Riker & Troi's renewed relationship). And there were little flaws here and there, but nothing compared to the clumsy execution that marred Generations or the gaping plot holes and glaring continuity errors in First Contact and Nemesis. Just my opinion, though.

Also, thanks, Martin, for posting. We really do appreciate it.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Yeah, personally I think that DS9 should get a few miniseries or MOWs. Only problem is the huge sets which have all been torn down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks