What's new

Ben Folds Five - Sessions at West 54th (1 Viewer)

Richard Olson

Auditioning
I received and watched this DVD last night. I discovered Ben Folds Five when this specific program was originally broadcast on television. I have been a huge fan ever since.
For anyone who is a fan, I recommend this DVD highly. Although this was made from a television broadcast and is therefore not widescreen, the picture is very crisp and clear. There is a Dolby 5.1 mix along with a stereo mix.
Not only is the main feature a great live show, but there is also a bonus section on the disc ("Spare Reels") which has more live clips plus some other bits with the band.
Rich

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
BFF is okay, but I'd really like to have the entire Nil Lara show on disc... :)
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
When do we get the landmark Sessions show featuring Joe Jackson's masterpiece Heaven and Hell?
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Wow! I just ordered this. According to Amazon, its all of the songs from the performance, not just the ones that made it on to the show.
Missing the War, Kate, The Battle of Who Could Care Less, The Last Polka, Selfless Cold and Composed, Brick, Steven's Last Night in Town, Smoke, Philosophy, Emaline, Theme from Dr. Pyser, One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces, Underground, She Don't Use Jelly, Song for the Dumped
Always nice to find another music DVD worth buying!
------------------
Patrick Larkin
Kubrick Multimedia Film Guide
"Something About the Duality of Man"

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds good! I love "Sessions" and have been disappointed because my local PBS stations haven't been airing it at regular times. I wasn't aware they released some episodes on DVD.
Is it a direct copy of the TV broadcast, or is it a la the old "MTV Unplugged" tapes where they add a couple of songs that were edited out for time constraints?
I'm off to buy it now - I'm really hoping they'll come out with this as a series. I'd love to get my hands on the Keb 'Mo and Dixie Chicks episodes.

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
I just picked up this dvd yesterday and it is a nice buy.
I got to meet Mr. Folds last week and get some pictures with him. It's a shame I did not have the dvd in time to sign.
frown.gif

------------------
If I could go back in time, I'd meet Snoopy

Greg Risley

Second Unit
I picked up the John Prine Sessions last week. It would be very nice if they released all the performances as single disc, the ones I would love to see would be The Mavericks, Nil Lara, and Shawn Colvin. If you liked Nil Lara on the best of disk you owe it to yourself to find his album, the guy is total energy even on studio tracks.
Greg

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the heads up guys! I picked this up yesterday and it is fantastic. I am a huge fan of this group - I love what they did with the Flaming Lips tune. Audio quality is very good - on par with the original Best of Sessions release. Anyone hear the new Ben Folds 'Rockin' the Suburbs' cd - if not, check it out.
PS does anyone know what song is playing when the main menu is on the screen?

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
This is a great dvd. The Spare Reels extra is a little odd though. but still a great dvd for BFF (or BF since they broke up) fans
------------------
If I could go back in time, I'd meet Snoopy

Rutledge

Stunt Coordinator
Just got the BFF disc on Tuesday. It is really good. These guys rock hard! The audio is a little hot at times. Especially when the drummer is crashing on the ride cymbal.
Too much cymbal wash and a little overpowering on certain songs. A great band.
My vote would have to go to the Keb' Mo' disc. It is fantastic, especially the sound quality. Keb' is probably my favorite artist right now.
I had never heard of Nil Lara until i got the "sessions" sample disc. What a performance! I would like to see his entire concert on dvd.

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, the Keb Mo' disc is a necessity. Great audio and video. I'll have to get the BFF one too. The one I'm salivating for is the Elvis Costello/Burt Bacharach show. Saw it on VHS at Tower a few months ago, so hopefully it's on the way.
What a great series.
------------------
I suppose you think that's very funny, Harold.
my DVDs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks