What's new

Beck Guerro/DVD-A is not working (1 Viewer)

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Just wanted to know if anyone else is having problems getting this DVD-A portion to run on their system.

I have a Pioneer 563A and have never had a problem with a SACD or a DVD-A. So it annoys the heck out of me to know this thing isn't working.

I'm going to exchange it tomorrow for a new one, but I did see at Beck's Homepage a little clause about the DVD-A:

A small percentage DVD players may have problem accessing certain tracks from the Track Menu on the Beck - Guero DVD disc. This issue can occur because of the complicated nature of the D-Fuse content on certain tracks. If your player has problems accessing a particular track from the menu, you can easily workaround this problem by going to the track before the problem track, and either skipping or fast-forwarding to the end that track so that the player continues playing into the problem track.

Uh oh...that doesn't sound so good.
:frowning:

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Do a search here on your player. To summarize, the 563 needs a firmware upgrade to play DVD-A authored under the latest spec. Pioneer was doing the upgrade for free. Exchanging the disc will do nothing for your problem as it is hardware related.

J

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Oh my god this sucks. Don't tell me I have to take my unit to a authorized dealer.

I must have been cooped up in a shell about this issue. Never heard of it.

Can't they just mail me on a CD the upgrade. Jesus tap dancin christ on a popsicle stick.
:angry:

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
There are some problems with the disc as noted on Beck's website:

From Beck's website: http://www.beck.com/news/index.php?year=current#Guero DVD Info

":::::: 03.30.05: Guero DVD Info ::::::
A small percentage DVD players may have problem accessing certain tracks from the Track Menu on the Beck - Guero DVD disc. This issue can occur because of the complicated nature of the D-Fuse content on certain tracks. If your player has problems accessing a particular track from the menu, you can easily workaround this problem by going to the track before the problem track, and either skipping or fast-forwarding to the end that track so that the player continues playing into the problem track.
How to get the most out of your Beck Guero Deluxe DVD

The Guero deluxe edition is a groundbreaking collision of art and technology. To the passive listener, it is a visually stimulating journey into an amazing record. To the advanced user, it is a journey like no other. With a stunning 5.1 surround sound mix by Elliott Scheiner and visuals by video artists D-Fuse, Beck?s Guero goes beyond the typical album experience.

Guero is the first-ever global release of a surround sound album in simultaneous release of the standard commercial CD. As another first, there is not only one video for every song on the album but by utilizing the outer limits of DVD technology discussed below, listeners can access over 100 videos.

For all 13 songs on Guero there are 2 video streams (aka angles) and 4 subpicture streams. When you play E-Pro for the first time, for instance, you?ll see green jelly fish and a pattern of rounded squares in front of them. This is more than meets the eye, the squares in front of the jelly fish are not part of the video, they are actually part of subpicture stream #1. The subpicture stream is a layer in front of the video that can be turned on, off or even changed using the ?subtitle? button. Usually on DVDs of theatrical films, this feature is used to display text of the movies dialog in multiple languages: subtitles. So, by pressing the subtitle button instead of getting French dialog at the bottom of the screen, on the Guero DVD you can reveal more of the video, access 8-bit images of becks photography, reveal stylized lyrics or even see cute little Atari-looking birds flying across the screen.

Continuing with the E-Pro example if you were to press the angle button on the DVD player?s remote you will reveal the second video stream on ?angle 2.? As a common example of the use of this technology, many of you may have ?heard? of (but I?m sure not seen it) this in adult film, showing different angles of the same scene. In this case, the second angle is a different visual angle/interpretation of beck?s music by D-Fuse. For E-Pro we go from Jelly Fish to abstract lines and imagery combined with 3-demintional architectural-influenced designs.

So with these concepts in mind you can create visual remixes of each so each song using the subtitle and angle buttons on your DVD player?s remote control. To showcase this in for the passive user, a special feature of this DVD is that after you play it all the way through, the DVD will go back to track 1 with a different combination of angle and subtitle without even having to touch the ?angle? and ?subtitle? buttons: Key for parties, hipster retail, etc.

Other features on the disc include:
1. photo gallery of D-Fused Beck Photos
2. the capability to play in several automotive surround sound DVD-Audio players such as the Acura TL
3. more detailed information about the visual in the credits section
4. a couple of easter eggs featuring the official E-Pro and Black Tambourine music videos. When you find the Black Tambourine video, hit the angle button to see the ?double easter-egg!?"

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

No, they can't - because in some cases the upgrade consists of an IC swap as well...at least, that was what I was told by the tech scheduled to repair my 563.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Ok, after about a week, I got back my Pioneer 563-A. I just tried to play and guess what? IT DID!

Good Day! I just listen to the first track and it's very nice. Can't wait to listen to the whole thing.

One thing though, while I was waiting, I went ahead and listened to the DD version...not too shabby, in fact, so far they almost sound ...should I say...identical?

Note I said almost, but I am pretty impressed with the DD 5.1 to even compete halfway with the DVD-Audio portion.

Either way, it's working so I am not complaining.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
My Toshiba 4900 freezes up on Tracks 3 and 13 on the DD5.1/videos stream. Not so terrible, as I think the 24/48 MLP track sounds better, but I would like to see those videos someday... will probably have to await a new player.
This didn't work for me.

Justin_P

Stunt Coordinator
I've had similar problems with this disc on my Yamaha C750 with certain video stream/graphic overlay combos. It seems to work fine with the graphics all off though. Kind of a bummer, since there are some really neat ideas for music presentation on this disc, but hey, hardly anything like this works on the very first try. I've never seen subtitle tracks used like this before!

At least the MLP track works!

Justin

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Ok, while listening to the DVD-A more closely I noticed my Sub wasn't working at all. I know the whole Bass Management thing is playing a part here, I just don't know what.

The sub works, but when I'm listening to DVD-A it doesn't. I'm gonna fiddle around a bit, but this is pretty annoying. Can't seem to get this one down.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Chris, my guess it is the speaker set-up and levels in the DVD player. It could be the way the disc was recorded and authored too. I've only played the thing once on one system other than the CD in the car so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks