What's new

BD, HD DVD, HDMI Receivers and Bass Management (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I'm curious?

On the BD and HD DVD players I know several decode the newer formats like DD+, DTS-HD and DTHD in the players and send the signal as PCM. What I want to know is the bass management? Is the bass management, time delay done in these players or in the receiver?

Thanks in advance!!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The Toshiba HD-A1 lets you set the bass management parameters if you choose the 5.1 analog outs (which are behind the decoder), including individual distance (time) and enhancement (dB) settings for each speaker, as well as the cross-over frequency.

Its decoders include a TrueHD decoder.

Cees

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Thanks Cees,

So do most HDMI receivers do bass management of the PCM? Can the signal come through HDMI without bass management?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
David,

There aren't many receivers with HDMI inputs yet, and I don't own one (waiting for the newer codecs to be included), so I didn't experience this in practice.

But the HD-A1 manual explicitly states that the speaker settings (including bass-management) applies to the analog 5.1 channel outputs.

Therefore, I assume the HDMI-signal comes without the bass-management indeed.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks