What's new

Battle of the used 5.1 processors (1 Viewer)

Mike Mitrook

Agent
Okay, so they are battling for my $$$. I currently have a Sony ep9es (first generation DD only). It sounds pretty good but I have recently upgraded to M&K K9s across the front and feel it might be time to do something on the processor side. The HT is in a small room (12’x13’) and from what I’ve read it’s not worth going to a 6.1 or 7.1 setup in such a space.

I’m looking at going with something like a used EAD Encore, Thule pr250b, Acurus act-3, or Rotel rsp-976. As you can see my target budget is well below $1K. 90% of the time it will be used for HT but I’d sure like good quality 2 channel as well, for time I would spend listening to music only.

Any suggestions? I’m running a Rotel amp (the old style RB-985). Thanks for your help!

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
You could pickup a Lexicon unit, should be able to buy a Lexicon DC-2 with v4 firmware. They're alot more superior to Rotel units IMO (and alot more configurable) They're probably one of the better HT processors around, although "OK" for music. You even pickup a MC-1 if you spot one going cheap. Not a huge choice on ebay ATM. Check Audiogon.

Mike Mitrook

Agent
I thought about Lexicon but the perceived weakness for stereo listening makes me shy away. How good is the lexicon7 processing with only 5 speakers? Is it still something to rave about?

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Logic 7 still works for 5.1 systems, as you've still got control of Logic 7's settings (and some features taken from THX)

Auto Azimuth
Vocal enhance
Re-equalizer
Sounstage
5 speaker enhance
Bass enhance
Surround Roll-off (for non-discrete material)
Rear Delay offset
Side/rear/sub levels

You've also got standard DD & DTS processing. You might prefer listening to CD's with Music Surround. It's very good (but subtle) surround steering effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks